Anyone Interested In A Guitar Thread?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A friend of mine has a virtually new Rickenbacker Fireglo 360 12 string that he needs to sell. Er indoors has threatened horrible things if I buy another guitar !

Playing in goal on Saturday after saving one particular shot I got a sharp pain in my left hand, specifically the ring finger (my fretting hand!)

Didn't think anything of it until it swelled up and turned dark brown around my knuckle so I went to A&E, I've torn a ligament and chipped off a part of the bone near the knuckle

Anyone else done this before? How long till you could play pain-free again? It didn't even occur to me till I got home and picked up a guitar :eek:

Ash

I spent large parts of my youth 'between the jumpers'. As a result, I would often end up with broken or damaged digits. I'm afraid it is usually a 'wait & see' process. Little can be done to aid the healing process (after you have sought medical help).

Keep away from 'Tommy the Tank'

If anyone is interested I buy and sell Fender Custom Shop guitars and have done for about 30 years now. I have a lovely Eric Clapton Antigua Custom shop I'm storing at the moment for sale in the future if anyone fancies a bit of an investment as well as a lovely sounding and finished guitar. It has active pick-ups and makes that fabulous Clapton honk as I call it the photos do not do the guitar justice.
11392.jpg

11392e.jpg

Here is another very nice guitar it's a very early John Page Custom Shop Strat this guitar 'rings' when you strum the strings when unplugged, fabulous finish.
25537_Used_1960_Stratocaster_3TS_CN402394_a_1.jpg

Last edited:
brucemillar said:
Ash I spent large parts of my youth 'between the jumpers'. As a result, I would often end up with broken or damaged digits. I'm afraid it is usually a 'wait & see' process. Little can be done to aid the healing process (after you have sought medical help). Keep away from 'Tommy the Tank'

Thankfully I'm right handed and it's the left that has the dodgy finger ;)

Anyone on this thread near Bredbury, Manchester?

Unable to entice anyone on here to go to Bredbury, (see above) we tripped along ourselves today and came back with this :thumb:.

Made in 2000 and 1 of 1000 worldwide.

This was the first Gibson standard production model to feature BurstBucker pickups - on this model the pickups are exposed with a reversed zebra pickup in the neck position. It's believed these were wired to reproduce the out of phase wiring in Moore's Peter Green Les Paul.

No more for now (hopefully :crazy:).

Very nice indeed.

My 1959 Hofner Committee, moved it in work today and had a play on it.

Unable to entice anyone on here to go to Bredbury, (see above) we tripped along ourselves today and came back with this :thumb:.

Made in 2000 and 1 of 1000 worldwide.

This was the first Gibson standard production model to feature BurstBucker pickups - on this model the pickups are exposed with a reversed zebra pickup in the neck position. It's believed these were wired to reproduce the out of phase wiring in Moore's Peter Green Les Paul.

No more for now (hopefully :crazy:).

They do have a lovely tone, does it weigh a lot?

My 2016 LP Standard has an out of phase mode by pulling up the neck pickup tone knob, still can't play like Gary Moore though :(

I remember seeing these for the first time at the Music Live exhibition at the NEC when they were launched. Some examples on the Gibson stand had very dry fingerboards which was a bit off putting to be honest. Pretty sure these had Burstbucker II pups (Alnico II magnets), so quite low output giving a 'sweet/softer' tone than some of the higher output pups.

Not sure about whether they had the out of phase 'Greeny' wiring, but that would make sense.

Played one somewhere around 2001-2002, very nice guitar, chunky neck too :thumb: and appreciating in value now.

As for weight, probably 8-9lbs would be my guess.

I'm jealous of these, finger is still in pain and I'm dying to pick up a guitar. Thought it would of healed by now

We're away at the mo, but he thinks it's about the same as the Custom and the Goldtop - i.e. not chambered.

I forgot to add, the signed pickguard was with it, in the case - they were supplied but not fitted, as GM played his without it. Many get lost along the way.

We're away at the mo, but he thinks it's about the same as the Custom and the Goldtop - i.e. not chambered.

I forgot to add, the signed pickguard was with it, in the case - they were supplied but not fitted, as GM played his without it. Many get lost along the way.

Pretty sure it will have a 'Swiss cheese' body. So some weight relief, but not chambered. As per the Standard and Classic series of that time. It's basically a Les Paul Standard with a AAA Lemonburst top, no binding and BB-II pickups.

Nice score!

Last edited:
I remember seeing these for the first time at the Music Live exhibition at the NEC when they were launched. Some examples on the Gibson stand had very dry fingerboards which was a bit off putting to be honest. Pretty sure these had Burstbucker II pups (Alnico II magnets), so quite low output giving a 'sweet/softer' tone than some of the higher output pups.

Not sure about whether they had the out of phase 'Greeny' wiring, but that would make sense.

Played one somewhere around 2001-2002, very nice guitar, chunky neck too :thumb: and appreciating in value now.

As for weight, probably 8-9lbs would be my guess.

The reason I asked about the weight was that I was offered a very nice Les Paul a long time ago, it was made at the old factory and was one of the first Gibson Custom shop guitars but when I picked it up my thoughts were how can anyone hold one of these for an hour plus. I'll have to look through my buying journal and see what model it was.

Just found the details it was a 1995 R model and had a solid mahogany body with a lovely top.

Last edited:

Definitely worth keeping hold of.

The reason I asked about the weight was that I was offered a very nice Les Paul a long time ago, it was made at the old factory and was one of the first Gibson Custom shop guitars but when I picked it up my thoughts were how can anyone hold one of these for an hour plus. I'll have to look through my buying journal and see what model it was.

From what I've seen, they range anywhere from 7-11 lbs. My 2002 Standard is 9lbs, it has nine hole (Swiss cheese) weight relief, which was used I think from the mid 80's until about 2007/8 when they introduced the modern weight relief system which removes more wood. I can wear it all night, mainly because it balances well.

More recently, some production Lesters are solid, some have Swiss cheese and some have modern weight relief.

Some of the lighter chambered ones I've played (Les Paul Standard Faded, Les Paul Studio Faded) have been neck heavy which just kills my left shoulder in 10-minutes. That's one reason I don't like the Gibson SG, as I find them to be neck heavy.

The custom shop guitars are from what I've read, either solid or chambered. The solid ones use (at least) use lighter mahogany than the standard production guitars.

The only way to know the weight is to weigh the individual guitar.

Last edited:
From what I've seen, they range anywhere from 7-11 lbs. My 2002 Standard is 9lbs, it has nine hole (Swiss cheese) weight relief, which was used I think from the mid 80's until about 2007/8 when they introduced the modern weight relief system which removes more wood. I can wear it all night, mainly because it balances well.

More recently, some production Lesters are solid, some have Swiss cheese and some have modern weight relief.

Some of the lighter chambered ones I've played (Les Paul Standard Faded, Les Paul Studio Faded) have been neck heavy which just kills my left shoulder in 10-minutes. That's one reason I don't like the Gibson SG, as I find them to be neck heavy.

The custom shop guitars are from what I've read, either solid or chambered. The solid ones use (at least) use lighter mahogany than the standard production guitars.

The only way to know the weight is to weigh the individual guitar.

Thanks very informative, I have to admit I'm not up on Gibson guitars and have only really bought and sold Fenders. Be it in the very early days of my playing (1980's) when you could buy pre-CBS Precisions and Jazz basses for very little money from the likes of Gruhn Brothers and a few other dealers in the States, in fact I accumulated about 30 basses over a period of 30 odd years. Although things changed some time ago and now there are far too many fakes around.

A 1995 Custom Shop Historic Reissue Les Paul is likely to be around 8lbs and also worth a good few grand, especially if it is a 59 Reissue (R9) in good condition, with a nice top, was painted by Tom Murphy and maybe has a Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard.

Yes there are a lot of fakes, but they usually have some inaccuracies that give them away. There are some very well informed and helpful folks on a couple of forums I could mention.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom