Anyone Remember Supercar Test days at Castle Combe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkII

Car
Mercedes C-Class
Was reminiscing about these whilst chatting with Chris (Patagonian) on the Insane Drives thread and wondered whether anyone else remembered them or used to attend?

The Supercar Test days took place back in the late 80's/early 90's and were based at Castle Combe circuit in Wiltshire (though I think they may have also been held at Goodwood as well) - organised by the De Tomaso Drvers Club.

I started attending them about '88/89 with my brother and a couple of his friends, me in my Lotus Excel SE and his friend in a TVR 450SE.

They were great days and well attended from what I recall (it has been almost 30 years). The drive across the M4 was like a rolling car show and I seem to remember there being a small petrol station just up the road from CC which looked surreal on the day, with all kinds of exotica pulling in to refuel for the journey home.

Here are a few pics. Anyone else remember/attend?

My Dad took us up to CC on a Lotus OC day back in '84 in his HPE ( sorry, had to get a Lancia mention in). I remember a superb Lotus Sunbeam wizziin' round. It looked and sounded very refined.

.... I remember a superb Lotus Sunbeam wizziin' round. It looked and sounded very refined.

Cheers Tim - not seen one of those for ages - one of the very earliest 'Hot Hatches'.

Strange really, everyone swapped the Lotus and Sunbeam words around as they were officially called 'Sunbeam Lotus' but I reckon owners wanted them to be known as a Lotus first .... :)

My Dad.... in his HPE ( sorry, had to get a Lancia mention in).....

Ha, ha....and why not, never hurts :)

Ahh yes - Harry did a nice piece on his own Lancia Delta Integrale Evo II.

[YOUTUBE]PI--8IH5XJw[/YOUTUBE]

See, managed to get another Lancia ref in there :)

Love his comment 'Proper anorak stuff.....' - we know Harry but that's what the engineers amongst us love....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom