Anyone restored a Windows 8.1 image off a network drive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wongl

MB Enthusiast
Car
A180CDI, B200d, C300h, SLK250
I have just upgraded several of the laptops in our family with fresh installs of Windows 8.1, and keen to create system images before they are 'polluted' with real user data, cookies, patches etc. Due to the amount of storage space required, I am planning on creating these system backup images on a shared network drive.

The question I have is, has anyone successfully restored a system image from a network drive using the Windows installation DVD? Is this even an option, and does it need any drivers to be downloaded to allow the boot from DVD to access the system images stored on a network drive?

Also, any tips on how I should organize these systems images to aid the recovery process (mainly in terms of distinguishing one image from the next so that the appropriate image is selected for recovery)?

Personally, for the modest cost involved, I'd get myself a copy of Macrium Reflect which will easily facilitate a bare metal restore and even restore to dissimilar hardware.

Thanks - I am trying to avoid 3rd party backup/cloning software for a couple of reasons; First - sod's law is that I can never find the 3rd party software when I need to in an emergency. Second - in most cases I will need multiple licences to cover the several laptops I will be backing up.

The windows system image backup is attractive to me because all I need is the windows installation disks. I keep this in a very central place and in any case not at all difficult to get hold of when away from my home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom