Anyone running an R class ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrPoseidon

Car
R34,Westfield, Audi and a Harley.
We are thinking of selling off out trusty Nissan Pathfinder and buying an R class 350 L CDI as the family car as we need a 6/7 seats.

We know it has now been discontinued , which is never a good sign .

Not sure if it is a reliable vehicle and the associated running cost as conflicting reports on the net .

Any info/advice greatly appreciated .

Cheers .

There are a few threads along the same lines on here that will answer your questions. Try the search feature.

In summary, great, versatile and huge car with no more issues than any other Merc (nothing specific to a R Class anyway). A general rule of thumb is that those that have them, love them, and those that have never been in one or owned one, hate them.

Outstanding value for money.

There are a few threads along the same lines on here that will answer your questions. Try the search feature.

In summary, great, versatile and huge car with no more issues than any other Merc (nothing specific to a R Class anyway). A general rule of thumb is that those that have them, love them, and those that have never been in one or owned one, hate them.

Outstanding value for money.

I would have to agree with timwood2000 on his analysis on the R class. Its a love it or hate it piece of equipment.
Alot of car for the money. I have a 2006 model R320 and the only problem apart from a broken nsf spring i have had no problems.
I was looking to change the car for a newer model and i think will only pick another of the same rather than different make.

justt purchased an r320 cdi sport - getting used to the auto had manual cars for years! had it a week and issues with the rear lights going into "back up" mode nothing wrong with the lights think its an earthing problem internet threads seem to reflect that and hope its sorted now with wire wool and a bit of patience! like the drive and hopnig to tow the twin axle with it soon! just need to sort a tow bar out!
purchased a parcel shelf for £200 from mb dealer as no noes got one second hand even the breakers.
think the car looks great!
will keep you posted on the history..............

Don't forget also, the drivetrain is taken from the ML so its all proven and very much a common component assembly.

We are thinking of selling off out trusty Nissan Pathfinder and buying an R class 350 L CDI as the family car as we need a 6/7 seats.

We know it has now been discontinued , which is never a good sign .

Not sure if it is a reliable vehicle and the associated running cost as conflicting reports on the net .

Any info/advice greatly appreciated .

Cheers .

Have had one for a bit over a year now. It's a big car and it shares many components with ML and GL. My particular car is very stuffed with most of the extras you can have on a R/ML/GL.

I love the design and look of the R and when I leave the kids for school I always smile a bit for myself when going back to the car among the other parked Range Rovers, X5s, Q7s etc. - I have the nicest looking car I think! :D

My next car will probably be one very late R but for now I'm happy and like the old pre-face lift design better.

So, I do recommend it (as you may already understand).

Thanks kingpin for feedback ,but the general family concensus is now they don't like its looks .Focus has now shifted to a G class :/ .

Thanks kingpin for feedback ,but the general family concensus is now they don't like its looks .Focus has now shifted to a G class :/ .

G-Wagen or you mean GL? If you mean GL that is my 2nd option if I don't shift to a newer R next time.

FWIW I think the GL is a much nicer car, proper 7 seats not 6 (I know the late R's went to 7) and tow weight is full 3500kg not the 2200 odd kilo of the R.

I think the facelift R is prettier than the pre-facelift - but that wasn't hard, the pre-facelift R was butt ugly from the front....

Yes MBD , the R is like marmite but still a great way to transport 6-7 people in comfort and luxury , I believe .

I am thinking of one of these to replace the VW Caravelle T4 we have now. Has been great for 4 kids, and pushchairs etc, with 9 seats it has been good to take the inlaws out with us too.

I have just got a 7 seat W210, and we will see how often we use the full 9 seat capacity of the T4 over the next few months, and may look to swapping it if we only use it 2 or 3 times.

I have always liked the R class, and with a 7 seat LWB it would be ideal I think. Plus a roof box if we wanted to carry lots of stuff.

The V8 petrol would be nice, but not the MPG!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom