Anyone seen any good number plates on cars lately?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There used to be a Smart around Glasgow with W33 CAR. Which I always though very appropriate but my mate says he saw the same number recently on an SL so I assume the owner upgraded slightly....

Robin

glojo said:
but I am 90% sure that I have regularly seen CRA 1G and if I am correct,

:( I should keep quite, but honesty is 'always' the best policy.

The local car has 'adapted' his number to read CCRAIG. (I blame the morphine)

In reality it is actually CCR 41G, but bolts have been painted and numbers moved. (naughty man) nice car though BMW cab

She also confirmed that 5WFT is correct, yet it does not show up on the RAC site.

Regards, and sorry for any confusion over CRA1G

John

C240Sport97 said:
may mate tried to buy P 155 OFF but DVLA wouldn't sell it

I always wanted A550 LES but I don't think it is available. Mr Parish's PEN 15 had a copy which I seem to remember Linda Lovelace had PEN 1S. The 007 car reg I have not seen, but when the motorboat racing is on in Torquay, there is a car there with just 7 on the plate

Some of the ones I remember of the top of my head recently are:

YEL 10W on a Yellow SLK in Basingstoke
A18 MPC illegally spaced to read A IBM PC on a Mondeo?
J80 WEN, again illegally spaced as J BOWEN on a BMW 7 series (the Jim Bowen???)
CHA 15Y on a BMW 3 series in Stoke Newington, with the font he had it looked like Chrisy
SOL 1D on an Audi TT in South London (anything to do with So Solid Crew?)

B10 GGS (Bloggs) which belongs to the owner of the Joe Bloggs jeans company
Jimmy Tarbuck had COM 1C

Autocar showed GGW 1N (GG WIN) on a Rolly Royce in Ascot or Bracknell. I also remember seeing SAR 1N (Sarin nerve gas) on a Frontera.

I've been to quite a few of the DVLA auctions. Some really interesting numbers come up, although the prices are even more interesting! I believe that K1NGS and S1NGH both made over 200k !

Vlad said:
Does anybody know what car is wearing 1 AMG nowadays?

Cheers

Registration 1AMG

Vehicle make JAGUAR/DAIMLER
Model X-TYPE V6 SE

Saves putting it on a retention certificate :crazy:

Geoff2 said:
... but when the motorboat racing is on in Torquay, there is a car there with just 7 on the plate

That'll be from round these parts then.

glojo said:
Having said that there is a local car that has the number 5 WFT no matter how you look at it the number looks like Swift. I have really had to study it and the mind really does play tricks with you. Checked it on RAC and again, no trace??? Local car that we frequently see.

Regards,
John

Hate to be a killjoy and yes some of these numbers can be fun (I have a private plate myself) but this is the reason misspacing is illegal.
Maximum fine being £1000 which probably wouldn't bother the person who paid 100k or more for their number but get reported to DVLA twice and they can withdraw the number without compensation. Listen carefully to the warning given by DVLA telephone sales people. It warns that altering the size, shape, spacing of letters and numbers to make words or phrases is illegal and if this is your intention not to continue with the purchase.
Like I said this can be fun but we have all seen numbers where you need to study the pate for a while before you can work out what the correct number actually is.

I'll get my coat.

As far as I know PEN 1S and FUK 1T have not been issued for obvious reasons :eek:

I believe J1 HAD was issued but then withdrawn ;)

Plodd said:
As far as I know PEN 1S and FUK 1T have not been issued for obvious reasons :eek:

I believe J1 HAD was issued but then withdrawn ;)

Totally agree any words that might have sexual or other connotation were not issued.

Regards,
John

Plodd said:
Like I said this can be fun but we have all seen numbers where you need to study the pate for a while before you can work out what the correct number actually is.
Makes for tricky identification when someone drives into the back of you then drives off.

I decided a long time ago that getting a personalised plate is expensive and pointless, I can think of much better things to spend the money on! :)

OGiii said:
Registration 1AMG

Vehicle make JAGUAR/DAIMLER
Model X-TYPE V6 SE

Saves putting it on a retention certificate :crazy:

What a waste....on an X Type Jag of all things... :confused:

Vlad said:
What a waste....on an X Type Jag of all things... :confused:

There is a guy in a Mercedes near me with *** JAG on his car.

Cannot remember the details but I wonder what his last car was.

I just saw a really nice plate on a white CE parked outside my house ! ;)

glojo said:
Hi Bazza,
CRA 1G is a BMW that lives down here in Torquay, I am VERY surprised that it goes across the border!! :)

It was a while ago, it used to be on a 3-series BMW then an XJ Jag and I think it went up for sale soon after

Bazza

rr19991029 said:
There used to be a Smart around Glasgow with W33 CAR. Which I always though very appropriate but my mate says he saw the same number recently on an SL so I assume the owner upgraded slightly....

Robin

I seen this on a Smart car in Edinburgh about 2 months ago, it was covered in stickers for a Smart owner's club

Bazza

Plodd said:
Hate to be a killjoy and yes some of these numbers can be fun (I have a private plate myself) but this is the reason misspacing is illegal.
Maximum fine being £1000 which probably wouldn't bother the person who paid 100k or more for their number but get reported to DVLA twice and they can withdraw the number without compensation. Listen carefully to the warning given by DVLA telephone sales people. It warns that altering the size, shape, spacing of letters and numbers to make words or phrases is illegal and if this is your intention not to continue with the purchase.

I'll get my coat.

If I had £50 for each 'tampered' plate I've seen, I'd have already retired abroad. If the DVLA had an equivalent of the crimestoppers hotline then this problem would be solved quite quickly, I think. The owner would pay the fine and DVLA pass on a percentage. It could work very well.
Les

DITTRICH said:
If I had £50 for each 'tampered' plate I've seen, I'd have already retired abroad. If the DVLA had an equivalent of the crimestoppers hotline then this problem would be solved quite quickly, I think. The owner would pay the fine and DVLA pass on a percentage. It could work very well.
Les

Don't forget it is the DVLA that is selling these plates and they know full well the consequences of their actions. :) Talk about being hypocritical.

Here's a number plate that 'might' spell a word, but if you spell it you are liable to prosection!!!!

Regards,
John

There is a Pug 206cc in my town that had P20 GCC as it's plate. It was of course laid out as P206 CC. I noticed it was back to the correct format during the summer but was then swapped to the altered plates again as if he had been warned. Then surprise, surprise it now has an '02' plate on it now!

Been caught 1 too many times methinks.

I also know somebody with an SL that , if you alter it,stand on your head,squint,whilst being very drunk has his name on the plate. He is on his second warnig, one more and it gets taken off him :p

Bazza

bazza said:
I also know somebody with an SL that , if you alter it,stand on your head,squint,whilst being very drunk has his name on the plate. He is on his second warnig, one more and it gets taken off him :p

Bazza

There do appear to be plates appearing that even when altered mean nothing to anybody but the owner.
What is the point??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom