Anyone upgraded to Windows 8.1?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stratman

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
I did today and now cannot connect to the Windows App Store. I get a message to the effect:-

"We weren't able to connect to the store. This might have happened because of a server problem or the network may have timed out. Try again later."

The message appears after about one second, so it isn't timing out. The internet works perfectly, I can sign in to Skydrive and so on. It worked perfectly before I upgraded. Indeed, I downloaded the update from the App Store, all 3.2 GB of it! It took less than six minutes, so there's nothing wrong with my connection.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I did today and now cannot connect to the Windows App Store. I get a message to the effect:-

"We weren't able to connect to the store. This might have happened because of a server problem or the network may have timed out. Try again later."

The message appears after about one second, so it isn't timing out. The internet works perfectly, I can sign in to Skydrive and so on. It worked perfectly before I upgraded. Indeed, I downloaded the update from the App Store, all 3.2 GB of it! It took less than six minutes, so there's nothing wrong with my connection.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Hi,

I have upgraded to Windows 8.1. No problems connecting to the Windows App Store here.

I have on 2 pc's with no problem. Work one is more difficult and being awkward, and I don't have time to problem solve it, or see it go down on me as yet, so leaving for now.

Store access is now restored, as if by magic.

I'm not keen on the integration of Skydrive into 8.1. I liked the Skydrive desktop app in 8, where there was plenty of feedback on syncing activity and status. All that's gone in 8.1. The desktop app runs once in the upgrade to hoover up some settings and is then rendered inoperative. The tray icon, which gave the user information on activity has gone, as have the addon ticks and syncing indicators on the Skydrive folder icons.

The rest of it is, so far to me, indistinguishable from 8.0. I can't comment on IE11 as I don't use it, preferring Chrome.

If I knew then what I know now would I have upgraded? Probably not.

Is it such a pain that I'll be rolling back to 8.0? No chance.

Upgraded to 8.1 on saturday.
Have used the laptop extensively since then.
Only difference for me, apart from the obvious windows button (useless!), is the speed that it comes back to life after sleep.
It is now virtually instant, very impressive.

I used classic start for a while and then decided to stop being an old man and get with the times :D

I'm forcing myself to adapt to the new workings of windows. :crazy:

Change is usually hard, but anything worth doing is difficult!

On another topic, my bro tells me that Win 9 is already in the pipeline, due for release this time next year?!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom