Anyone used Chipex for stone chips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beaker218

Car
C257 CLS 2019
Hi

I was thinking about buying some touch-up paint from Chipex

Car touch up paint - colour match guaranteed

Just wondering if anyone here has used their paint before I buy some as it is quite pricey!

Maybe worth it though if it works.

Thanks

I used it on my wife's saab - hard colour to match (lime yellow metallic) - good match, but applying is quite a bit harder than the video implies. All in all however the best way I've found so far

have you tried the colour match in halfords only £10 and get a big tub too found it matched my tanzanite blue perfectly

I have a chipex kit for my tanzanite blue e55 amg, I'm supposed to be doing a review/write up on it, but weather has been rubbish so only did a couple test spots, the video makes it look a lot easier than it is, but it does work well if you take time doing it :)

I have used the Chipex kit on my Obsidian Black car. It works really well and the colour match is good. I would agree with the other comments though, it is more difficult to apply successfully than the instructions make out. My downfall was using too much of the removing fluid and ending up with a slight dip in the paint level. More time, care and skill on my part would probably resolve this.

Thanks for your comments chaps.

I will buy some and post my results here.

I used the US equivalent (Dr. Color Chip) and it really is nowhere near as easy as the video implies.

Results were decent though and I will be purchasing a kit for mine in Spring.

I'v used it on a couple of motors including my current 320 . As said already its not the easiest product to use but it does get better with practice .

I've used it on two Subaru's in the past.
I have recently used it on my CLK55 - and its cubanite silver.
Friend of mine has used it on a tanzanite blue CLK.

Colour match is very good I think.

Young lad that detailed my car put the stuff on the chips for me, I'd used on previous STI Subaru's myself - gets easier to use with practice.

used it and to be honest was the worse product I have every used, I found a company on ebay that offers a paint touch up product, with very good colour match and requires no lacquer, once polished up they are very hard to spot.

used it and to be honest was the worse product I have every used, I found a company on ebay that offers a paint touch up product, with very good colour match and requires no lacquer, once polished up they are very hard to spot.

Do you have a link?

BillyCR said:
here you go, remember this is a normal touch up, you don't spread it like the Chipex stuff, but gives a better finish imho, I normally do a few at a time and allow to dry for a couple of weeks, before paint correcting touch up paint from fiona_mcgowan123 | eBay

Thanks that's great I was looking at the Chipex but this looks like it'll do the job just as well.

I've got a de-nibber in case of over application and then can correct with polisher

The no lacquer required kits actually have the lacquer mixed in to the paint exactly the same as the chipex and dr colour kits.

The chipex comes with some small brush type things now for dabbing in and building up the paint layers, when i tried it I found building up a few layers at a time then using the "solution" to lighty rub over and flatten back to a level then polish up gave a pretty much invisible fix.

The ebay kits are effectively the same but don't come with the extras the chipex kit comes with.... If you have your own de nibber I would just get some paint with lacquer mixed up and use a really fine brush build up layers de nib the top flat and polish.

Thanks for reminding me BillyCR. I bought some of that paint from ebay a couple of months ago and have never tried it. Will give it a go today and then see if I still need to buy Chipex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom