Anything to help get rid of shower grout ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A210AMG

MB Enthusiast
Hello

Nice horrible job ahead, shower needs all the old stuff dug out and re-doing.

Previously I've just dug it out / scrapped it off with various tools....is there anything that helps losen the grout to ease my horrible job :)

thanks

hammer?

My bathroom took 2 days and lots of blisters and I swore never to do it again!

We were funniliy enough having this conversation with our builder when the on-suite was created - He swears by using a dremel and a special grout removing 'bit' - As our builder is my school mate - I just called him and he has confirmed use a dremel with the bit but just buy many bits!!!

I've done it once when we moved in.

Its not a huge area only the shower area (bottom bit) where it joins so its not the end of the world. I Googled it and found a few people recommending dremels.... I have on in the shed with lots of bits so now the job has power tools involved all or a sudden its not 'that' bad :)

There is a tool designed for the job.....

http://www.tradetiler.com/acatalog/Fein_Multimaster.html

Even when I was a professional tiling contractor we didn't bother with it though. I wouldn't do re grouts, it was just a complete nuisance and the moment you chipped the edge of one tile the customer was demanding you re tiled the whole lot at your own expense....

Retile it and have done with it for good, and use decent grout produce by BAL, Ardex or similar.

There is a tool designed for the job.....

http://www.tradetiler.com/acatalog/Fein_Multimaster.html

Even when I was a professional tiling contractor we didn't bother with it though. I wouldn't do re grouts, it was just a complete nuisance and the moment you chipped the edge of one tile the customer was demanding you re tiled the whole lot at your own expense....

Retile it and have done with it for good, and use decent grout produce by BAL, Ardex or similar.
As usual the video looks very impressive.

In your experience what type of grout is the very best and what would you recommend for a swimming pool please?

I want quality over price and something that would last :)

My bathroom took 2 days and lots of blisters and I swore never to do it again!

We were funniliy enough having this conversation with our builder when the on-suite was created - He swears by using a dremel and a special grout removing 'bit' - As our builder is my school mate - I just called him and he has confirmed use a dremel with the bit but just buy many bits!!!

Was just about to suggest this! Best Christmas present I've had in years...

As usual the video looks very impressive.

In your experience what type of grout is the very best and what would you recommend for a swimming pool please?

I want quality over price and something that would last :)

What do you need to Grout John?

Is it the surround or the internal pool lining and what product is it..i.e. Vitirified Mosaic, ceramic tile, porcelain tile etc...?

What do you need to Grout John?

Is it the surround or the internal pool lining and what product is it..i.e. Vitirified Mosaic, ceramic tile, porcelain tile etc...?
:)

You are asking a real fikkie

It is a tiled pool with tiny square tiles.

The water here in South Devon is terribly soft and tends to eat grout. Our pool needs re-grouting andf this is a hugely labour intensive job. I reckon with that gadget and some decent quality grout, I could do it myself, but I would want to use the best grout and hope it would last.

I have stuck down a seperate single tiny little tile that came unstuck so I am guessing they are porcelain but that is it..... it is a guess.

The tiles are purely decorative so a lack of grout does not cause the pool to leak. I just want a hard wearing waterproof grout that will last a minimum of five years
It is the actual pool and mainly the floor :)

I've not had this problem as in Lincs the water is very hard and needs lots of acid adding to lower the hardness. I thought that if you had grout dissolve the water was too acid and you will also get stainless steel corroding too. Best to get your water chemistry problem solved as pool water is not the same as tap water.

Very soft water - particularily artificially softened water - can etch some grades of stainless steel over a period of time. If its a real problem 316L offers a high resistance to corrosion - even to chlorine rich pool water.

I've not had this problem as in Lincs the water is very hard and needs lots of acid adding to lower the hardness. I thought that if you had grout dissolve the water was too acid and you will also get stainless steel corroding too. Best to get your water chemistry problem solved as pool water is not the same as tap water.
I am confident about the quality of our water :)

Being an indoor pool it is very easy to control, I test it weekly and twice a year I send a sample away to be thoroughly tested.

We come from Lincolnshire and the biggest difference can be seen on the inside of an electric kettle. You will NEVER get ANY scale on our kettle but by crikey on a Lincolnshire one it very quickly builds up...

Sorry for drifting off topic and I look forward to Mudster's replies

Very soft water - particularily artificially softened water - can etch some grades of stainless steel over a period of time. If its a real problem 316L offers a high resistance to corrosion - even to chlorine rich pool water.
Oiii :) Stop picking on me :thumb::D

We use bromine

Our pool water is obviously chemically balanced but our tap water is so soft we MUST add hardener to the pool water to protect the grout.

Our stainless steel railings are the best quality and spotless :)

The tiles\grout are purely decorative and i could put up with the missing grout if I wanted to :)

In Lincs you end up with a clogged filter full of limescale if you don't reduce the hardness and pH. I wish the water was as soft as yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom