Apple Car Play to replace early COMAND Satnav dual Din radio ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeInWimbledon

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
(Ex S211 E500, W212 E500, C216, S212 E500, W211 E500 5.5, W221 S500, S211 E500, SL500, S500, E55)
Can anyone recommend an Apple Car Play unit as a replacement for an early Comand system?

A friend showed me his Pioneer unit yesterday and it seemed pretty impressive, in a simplistic kind of Apple way.

I'm curious about it as a Comand replacement unit for a 2004 W211 E500, or a 2003 SL500.

Interested to hear both sides of the argument, so equally interested if you reckon it's not good enough, has poor sound, or that a simpler dedicated SatNav MP3 player would be better.

Will only consider premium mainstream brands: Pioneer, Kenwood etc. Would never touch a clever Chinese unit...

Last edited:
Ps

Happy to hear any references to magazine articles or similar. Most of the Comand replacement articles I can find are a bit ancient:e.g. 2008 "How to replace my aging Comand unit"

Hi
Went for jvc kw v50bt...works fine for mirroring off my ip6 and wife's android phone; using 300gb hardrive with it as well as rear camera... Main cost really was labour as new cables has to go in as original MB unit used fibre optic... Also went for a space saver subwoofer in the boot as original one blew... More than happy with the whole unit... It would have cost me more to get an updated original MB unit and wouldn't have had the amount of options I mow presently have. The pioneer units I believe are just as good

We like the Alpine ILX700. Especially as if we supply and fit Alpine will give a 2 year warranty.

Don't forget that the Quadlock wiring on a W211 Audio-20 is not standard, so you need a special adapter ..

SL500 is DIN but there are no fascia adapters for the D2B comand, and you have to cut the dash trim as a result.

Cheers

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom