Apple Pay - FYI You can use it anywhere that supports contactless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MancMike

I've seen lots of shops showing the Apple Pay logo at the checkout, and those with their card added to Apple Pay may choose to pay with their phone or watch.

These stores are "partners", it just means their staff have had a bit of training to be able to answer any questions for those using it for the first time, and they'll get the logo to attach to the terminal.

It seems though that it's had a negative effect, in that I've found most people think they can only use Apple Pay at places showing the logo.

That's not the case. You can use Apple Pay anywhere that has contactless payment. If you can hover your card over it to pay, you can do the same with your watch or phone, and in most cases, it's even faster still than a contactless card and will work from a few inches away so you don't have to wonder if you touch your card to the top, or side of the machine, etc.

The same may or may not be true for Android/Samsung pay, etc.

It's also more secure than contactless, so if you're worried about contactless, you can usually switch it off on your card and then nobody could make payment without your authorisation (i.e finding your card on the floor and buying lunch with it).

Hope it helps some get more use out of it if you didn't already know. :)

Stand by for the 'I don't want it, don't like it and sent back my contactless card' brigade...

Ahem.

I don't want it, don't need it, and HAVE sent back all my contactless cards.

:p:D

I'll keep the increased security of a PIN rather than the dubious benefit of contactless making my shop a whole ten seconds quicker.

I'll keep the increased security of a PIN

A couple of points;

A 4 digit pin is not more secure than the authentications required to initiate Apple Pay, which in the case of paying with a phone means using your fingerprint or face ID, or in case of the watch, you've previously in the privacy of your bedroom entered your much longer pin before attaching it to your wrist. You double tap a button to bring up Apple Pay, and if you remove the watch from the wrist, it's locked instantly. Safer than contactless, and safer than the 4 digit pin that can be spied upon and can authorise much larger payments. I wouldn't want to be typing my 4 digit PIN number in to buy a coffee and a sammich! :eek:

Good point Mike, bte on the Starling app you can disable/enable contactless instantly, have location sensitive security (using your phones location to only authorise payments in your proximity hence alleviating the risk of a cloned card)...

lets hope this thread doesn't get locked :p

Yes, and that is bettered by a feature of iOS's location services, in that your watch takes over for your location, if your iPhone isn't with you. i.e, if you leave your phone in your bag in the boot. Your location is then reported from the watch that knows it's on your wrist, automatically.

It won't get locked, it's just a heads up to hopefully help someone get more from their tech. Just don't mention NPVs! :p

Interesting. Thanks. I use it all the time especially now there’s no limit but have always looked for the logo.

I use Android pay all the time. It's replaced my Oyster card and I buy all the small things with it (breakfast, lunch. coffees,etc).

Very convenient.

I use Android pay all the time. It's replaced my Oyster card and I buy all the small things with it (breakfast, lunch. coffees,etc).

Very convenient.
I cant remember the last time I used cash.
I use it on TFL, in the pub and for all my day to day purchases.

As easy as Apple Pie?

It's amazing that we are getting more and more ways to spend what we have little of. There are so many incentives and systems in place to get us to spend our money.

So, what is the catch. How does Apple earn from getting you to spend your money through their app? I presume they don't do it for free.

As easy as Apple Pie?

It's amazing that we are getting more and more ways to spend what we have little of. There are so many incentives and systems in place to get us to spend our money.

So, what is the catch. How does Apple earn from getting you to spend your money through their app? I presume they don't do it for free.

F**k knows. Just easier for me!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom