Applying wax: what did I do wrong?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
With hard wax only do small areas and apply thinly don't get to excited when ... i have only ever really used simoniz hard wax.
Applying too much it will build up quickly on your cloth which will result in smearing or trying to do a large area like will also result in smearing.

Now everyone will laugh at this part OR think i a genius but the day before i use it i put it in the fridge :eek: i find it makes it harder with less "glooping" but you need to work it a little to get going, i do this more in the summer than winter. I don't about Bilt hamber but i have just ordered one as it had good reveiws on auto express so not sure if i'll use the chill technique until i see it.

Make sure you turn the cloth all the time and change it reguarly to i have a bag of 30 cloths i use and i use different cloths for each panel.
I use one to apply, one to remove and one to buff. It's sounds hard but really the cleaner the cloth the quicker the work.
Lastly with hard wax if you drop or get dirt on the pad / cloth your applying with do not carry on using it dirt will get stuck in the tin and you'll have to bin the tin. #lowerpartofthecar:wallbash:

Quick update i used the Bilt Hamber wax this morning and was quite impressed overall, it has a good (not retina searing amazing but good) shine and was very easy to apply.

I applied in small areas and it was really easy on and really easy off allowing me to move quickly around the car, however i did try to recreate your issue a bit by applying generously to larger areas on one side of the car and it did dry causing powder and a bit of smearing, i corrected this by just going over again in small areas very lightly as i normally do and it come up lovely.

100% apply thinnly and evenly though as it'll dry in door rubbers and nooks and crannies showing white lines which looks terrible, the side i was liberal with had this the side i was careful with didn't :) hope this helps.

Just to add i started with a maguires polish and poor boys glaze and like 20 micrfibre clothes.

The Bilt Hamber Double Speed wax is excellent so you have the correct wax. It’s all about the tine and effort taken before you apply it. Also as you now know the application of that wax has to be sparing - less is more in this instance. I like to do half a panel then wipe, unless it’s the bonnet which should ideally be done in small sections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom