are locking wheel nuts worthwhile?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris846

Car
2000 CLK320TR (tinny rustbucket)
I had a calamity - I used a windy spanner to tighten the wheel nuts a while ago & must have had it on 'daft' setting. I sheared the McGard key trying to remove them yesterday. The AMG alloys have really deep holes so I had a browse on here and picked up some ideas.
I ended up with a XXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX and used a breaker bar to bring it straight out. Piece of cake.
And I'm not even a little bit criminal.
So is there any point spending money to replace the locking bolts, surely any half smart wheel thief would have as little trouble as me?
What does anybody else think?
cheers
chris

They are cheap so why not?

The wheel torque for your car is 110NM too BTW.

Not sure what all the xxxxxxxxxxxxxx's are about above but you can buy locking nut removal tools from all good car part shops :D

Sealey SX200 Locking Wheel Nut Removal Set 2pc 21 & 25mm 1/2"Sq Drive

Are locking nuts worth it, yep they will stop the local scrotes from making off with you wheels, but if a crim really wants them, they'll be gone in about 2mis..

come out one morning to find your car sat on its discs and two large dents in the sills off the scaffold bar,then you would think there worth it:mad:

Neilsen do a brilliant kit but they are single use only.

I have an expensive kit (£200) but it is the danglies.

I agree a little in "Is it worth fitting them" due to the ease in which I removed them on the wife's car with a very cheap removal kit bought from screwfix however, I did buy a new set for her car simply to add the deterent element from the useless idiots from attempting to make off with them.

If I have split rims on a car I use 2 different types of locking bolt per wheel. It wont stop someone stealing the wheels but it will slow them down. The newer Merc bolts are quite good as they have a collar that spins around the bolt, In theory it should work well against the tools mentioned.

Last edited:
Thanks for the useful link - I see they now have spinning collars, are these effective? I might reconsider.
The type I removed are the McGard 'standard', the reviewer gave these a decent write up (third place) but I wouldn't have - I didn't have to spend any money on special tools, just an impact socket modified with a dremel.

Perhaps ask your insurer if locking wheel bolts are "worthwhile"? You may find if you don't have them fitted they wont pay out when your alloys get stolen.

I'm always amazed that anti-theft bolts don't come as standard with M-B alloys, like they do with VW and Audi (and probably others).

I Have used two different sets on my alloys before now.

The way I see if, if there is a car with them and one without what will the low life take..

They don't cost much so worth it.

I have them on my 2 MB's and never had a problem. I always respect the torque settings at all times and never had to sweat (or swear) in order to remove a nut. I use genuine MB locking nuts

Last edited:
The lock spinner on McGuard nuts can be easily removed in a matter of seconds with a very small chisel. I say small chisel simply because I had to remove them on my wife's car following the key damage and I did not wish to damage the alloys therefore, a crim would not care so much and use anything to remove the spinner which needs to be removed before the locking wheel nut tool can latch on

When I bought the 190E 2.6 a few years back it had locking bolts and no key !!!

I got three off by hammering an impact socket on over them , no4 had to be drilled out until an extractor could be inserted .

I look on them as more of a PITA than anything else and the potential for being stuck in the middle of nowhere with a puncture you can't change tips the balance away from them being worthwhile for me .

After recent annoyances I am in two minds about switching to non-locking wheel nuts now. Or I could just not overtighten the locking ones and keep my now trusty 11/16 socket handy. I think the risk of theft outweighs the potential annoyance for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom