are windscreens tinted?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C240Sport97

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL400, VW California Coast and 911 GT3
My CLS55 windscreen (OEM as it has the factory running in sticker) has a 9 inch crack so needs replacing.

AA Autowindshields (mandated by insurer, Groupama) uses Pilkington glass (at least I have heard of them). I can insist on MB glass, but Groupama will only pay £100 towards the cost.

Anyway, the AA A lady insisted that my windscreen has a slight blue or green tint to it .. I always thought that windscreens are not tinted!

I have never noticed such a tint, and will check later (apparently the trick is white paper inside windscreen, look from outside).

Thoughts/comments/experiences welcome.

Thanks.

W211/W203/W209s have Blue windows/windscreen on the Avantgarde models only...

CLS the same?

Just had my SL screen replaced by AA and yes mine is tinted as original although the new one is much lighter. Same experience regarding insurance (AA) would only insure up to £170 including excess of £70 so I accepted the Pilkington.
10 year guarantee and the work carried out in just over the hour. Very efficient and careful.

Clearly Cambridge is on the ball today regardless of temperature. !!!

Just had my SL screen replaced by AA and yes mine is tinted as original although the new one is much lighter. Same experience regarding insurance (AA) would only insure up to £170 including excess of £70 so I accepted the Pilkington.
10 year guarantee and the work carried out in just over the hour. Very efficient and careful.

that is reassuring :)

Thanks.

Screens are tinted at 75% transmittance. Yours will be Blue glass, being Avangarde/AMG spec.

False...green was standard, blue was a £90 option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom