Artico or real leather!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dazzler

Car
W211 Estate 320CDI, E55 AMG 54 plate.
Hi. How can one tell?
I've called mb uk and they won't tell me spec sheet for a car unless I'm the owner.
Car is being advertised as leather but I'm not sure.
Obviously makes a difference to value.
Any other way of seeing the spec sheet?

Get the chassis number (lower passenger side of windscreen) and then get the Data Card information (from someone on here) which will confirm either cow or plastic.

Kenny

Even bits are real leather there will still artico in places. If you can't tell, then I really wouldn't worry. Come to think of it, if you can't tell, then it's probably artico.

Which model?

Can sometimes tell by the stitching/padding.

The grain or pattern looks too even and uniform.

Artico. Have not seen many with nappa specced on them.

To be honest Artico from my experience lasts better.

I'm 99% sure the seats in my W211 are Artico, nearly 115k on the clock and they look virtually perfect.

My other half's SL has 75k on it and the sears I'm certain are real leather. Needed far more TLC to get them looking how I think they should.

Hard to tell the difference anyway other than how it wears. :)

I can positively say if you are looking at a W205, the cream and red are definitely leather seat facings (with artico backs, door trim and dash)

It's pretty difficult to tell by sight - standard leather is very grainy and akin to Artico, but I think there is more exposed stitching with leather. You can definitely tell the difference by feel - like comparing a leather jacket to a plastic one.
I am sure lots of customers in the used market are duped into believing that Artico is leather when it is just vinyl.

Last edited:
Get the chassis number (lower passenger side of windscreen) and then get the Data Card information (from someone on here) which will confirm either cow or plastic.

Kenny

^^this

Even the REG should be sufficient

I am sure lots of customers in the used market are duped into believing that Artico is leather when it is just vinyl.

Pretty sure our C Class was advertised as having leather (as an Approved Used car). IIRC the salesman referred to it as 'Artico Leather' when we went to look at it.

Still more practical than cloth (and probably leather) with kids etc. in the car :)

^^this

Even the REG should be sufficient

IIRC the technique Biglips showed me was to go the BMW warranty site and enter the reg number.

This then pops out the VIN.

Then you enter the VIN in a decoder to get the spec.

It's not a great deal different from applying "protective coating" to the seats yourself because it was sold to you as the best way to keep your leather looking good.

Some earlier cars (like w210) you could tell from the door card, if the insets were ruffled, it was leather, smooth not. As for later cars not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom