As the dust settles...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 37751

... on the farewell of the Quattroporte, I thought I'd pen a few thoughts to give an actual owners view and not "a bloke down the pub".

The looks.
It is achingly beautiful and even more so in the flesh, the rear and front quarters are very muscular though, these touches helping to create the best looking four door saloon in the world. I met a friend for dinner the other week, him in his brand new M5, me in the Fiat and we'd parked next to each other. As we sat in the window gazing out, the amount of people (mostly young lads) who were stopping to take pictures of the Maser and completely ignore his BMW was about 20/1 in my favour, my friend was gutted!

The interior.
Very good quality, it was better than I'd been led to believe. The space in the rear was cavernous, I had my 6'4" friend sat behind me on a journey to London and he got out fresh as a daisy (as did I)

General ownership and costs.
Well it never let me down, as me and Doodle seem to share the same trait of owning cars and bikes that are meant to be unreliable, as soon as they're in our ownership they become bastions of reliability and don't fail once.

I was quite lucky in the sense that the car had just had £4500 spent on it which took out some of the potential risk, but it did certainly give me the heads up that if this car went wrong it wasn't going to be an enjoyable ownership. As it happened, it didn't cost me a bean, only issue it had was an airbag light would come on randomly, I had it checked out and plugged in and it didn't even show as a stored fault (?!) show just lived with it for the once a fortnight it came on.

How it drove.
I'll be honest around town it felt big and felt heavy, the steering especially felt quite lardy, just didn't like little roads whatsoever. Get it on a B-road though and it came alive, suddenly felt a lot more taught and actually seemed to shrink in size how agile it felt on the twisties.

Fuel economy.
An average of 17 mpg, on a run it was 24mpg and driven locally was 14mpg.

The sound.
No words to describe it to be honest, turned heads even when driven slow and steady, it is a truly wondrous sound, here's a cold start:[YOUTUBE HD]VaauUTSefDU[/YOUTUBE HD]

The feeling and experience of being a Maserati owner.
At 400bhp and being N/A it's not particularly quick, but it feels as though you don't really need any more, the XF-R I had is a better car all round (except the looks and sound) and a lot faster, but most of the time I'd find myself cruising along in a world of my own in the QP.

One other thing that became apparent was how nobody and I mean nobody would even attempt to race you or even goad you into a race, in all the other powerful cars I've had, there was at least one instance a day where some wannabe would be up my jacksie trying to nudge me along. Maybe it's because a Maserati is perceived to be a "supercar" people don't even try and attempt to take you on from the lights...

My overriding memory though of other peoples reactions can be summed up in one word - smile. Everywhere I went, it received such a positive response, men of all ages, and a fair amount of women too, would want to ask questions about it, most of which were cliches but I found it heartwarming to meet so many people who are into cars.

One instance in particular sticks out in my mind though about the general attitude towards them and it was when my friend came up for a blast in his £90k Porsche Turbo, we had a good blast through Yorkshire and at pretty much every junction we came to, cars would willingly let me out but then nudge in front of him to block his exit! He wasn't amused!

To sum up.
For circa £20k there is nothing else on the market that would get this reaction, yes my XF-R beats this in pretty much every department, but the Quattroporte is about more than just that, it is greater than the sum of its parts and I'd own another one at the drop of a hat (but not the new ones, they're pretty ugly outside and too plain inside)

Nice summary! One of my friends has had three QP's and loves them for very similar reasons to those you have outlined above. He reckons they just feel "special" - and give him a very high CoS (Co-efficient of Smugness).

you don't keep cars long enough for them to let you down :D

So it had nearly a third of its worth spent on it just before you picked it up, you owned it for 5 minutes and nothing went wrong so that means it is a good and reliable car?

That's the idea, although some (like my first E55K) certainly do their best to ruin my tactics!

So it had nearly a third of its worth spent on it just before you picked it up, you owned it for 5 minutes and nothing went wrong so that means it is a good and reliable car?

It has to be said that it is a much better strategy for buying cars than having to spend a third of its worth once bought.

Gives out the true :cool: GT vibe :cool: while parked or idling at the kerb. "I can take you across continents in comfort and style." It may be a triumph of appearance over substance but you have the comfort of knowing that even when broken down on the hard shoulder waiting for the recovery truck you are "lookin good" ;)

Gives out the true :cool: GT vibe :cool: while parked or idling at the kerb. "I can take you across continents in comfort and style." It may be a triumph of appearance over substance but you have the comfort of knowing that even when broken down on the hard shoulder waiting for the recovery truck you are "lookin good" ;)

In a nutshell Graeme. :thumb:

Charles Morgan said:
It has to be said that it is a much better strategy for buying cars than having to spend a third of its worth once bought.
It is but that's not what we are talking about here is it?

We're talking about reliability and those who don't know about Maserati would say 5 minutes is more than enough time for it to go wrong.

I've also been researching Maserati Granturismos since April last year and it is quite clear to me that since Ferrari have owned them, they have come on a long way in terms of reliability.

They use the bullet-proof Ferrari blocks and ZF autos or part-Ferrari robotised-manuals which are very reliable.

The worst news on Maseratis of this vintage is trim is not always great and ancillaries can shove themselves up their own rses.

It's not like MB are a paragon of reliability is it?

Show me a reliable MB and I will show you a UK-based MB enthusiasts forum containing many posts to demonstrate my point... :D

I don't think any cars are super reliable anymore. Our Jag has been fine with only wear and tear but if you read some of the horror stories going on with 40000 mile STR's you would run a mile.

The 911 is a 996 which was famous for destructing engines.

Our Skiathos car (Dacia) will probably be the best!

It's not like MB are a paragon of reliability is it?

And I'm proof; I really do like a lot of Mercedes cars, AMG's etc but they've not be that cheap to run due to certain issues; I owned my first E55K for a similar amount of time as the QP and the AMG cost me well over a couple of grand in costs (which is down to previous owners attitudes too).

You'll end up with a GT in the end John, I'm certain of it, I flirted for years with a QP and it never goes away until you give in.

I don't think any cars are super reliable anymore. Our Jag has been fine with only wear and tear but if you read some of the horror stories going on with 40000 mile STR's you would run a mile.

The 911 is a 996 which was famous for destructing engines.

Our Skiathos car (Dacia) will probably be the best!

Me neither. The days of the likes of BM and MB being uber-reliable and the kind of cars they were, costing twice the price they are today, are long gone.

They still enjoy the perception but the reality is very different - with some exceptions of course.

"Built to a budget" is the phrase I use - whilst maximising profitability. That's how I see all the usual players now.

When I came to the Maserati table, I had the same perceptions about being a crappy unreliable old Fiat etc. If I had not been convinced otherwise, I would have walked away.

Who wants to stand at the side of a road broken-down all the time?

And I'm proof; I really do like a lot of Mercedes cars, AMG's etc but they've not be that cheap to run due to certain issues; I owned my first E55K for a similar amount of time as the QP and the AMG cost me well over a couple of grand in costs (which is down to previous owners attitudes too).

You'll end up with a GT in the end John, I'm certain of it, I flirted for years with a QP and it never goes away until you give in.

I suppose for me, I didn't mind that the E55K cost me so much money because of the enjoyment I got out of it.

I only see it as wasted if you don't get any enjoyment at all and it costs well beyond what a normal car would.

To that end, I feel the same about the GT.

In terms of me buying one, my only issue is the seats really. I'm still investigating and looking at trying others. My height has always been a problem with cars although this GT is probably the only car I would "put up with" even if it is not quite right.

I'm still working to improve the situation but it will take time.

I pretty much look at classifieds for them every day to keep an eye on the market though. Never a good sign! :D

Would this apply to women also ?

Haha, no pal, been married for fourteen years this year and wouldn't change her for the world.
I've got one of them too. We've been married 14 years this year as well but , I still fancy her cousin.

Haha, no pal, been married for fourteen years this year and wouldn't change her for the world.

I've got one of them too. We've been married 14 years this year as well but , I still fancy her cousin.

We've been married fourteen years too. Spooky

Bobby Dazzler said:
We've been married fourteen years too. Spooky
In July, my wife and I celebrate 14 years of marriage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom