Ash Content reset?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

surferx

Car
Sprinter LWB
I have the OM-651, engine 180K miles,

from the last service DPF 18% full,
soot less 10 %
but the ash level is around 100%,

and the check engine light has come on twice now.

I am assuming the ash content is just a guestimate based on usage? There are only pressure sensor or is some other magic sensor?

In that case can the ash level just be reset to lower value? I understand something like this is done when a new or reconditioned DPF is fitted.

I have the OM-651, engine 180K miles,

from the last service DPF 18% full,
soot less 10 %
but the ash level is around 100%,

and the check engine light has come on twice now.

I am assuming the ash content is just a guestimate based on usage? There are only pressure sensor or is some other magic sensor?

In that case can the ash level just be reset to lower value? I understand something like this is done when a new or reconditioned DPF is fitted.

The ash content is calculated from the amount of fuel used & regens. This is also trimmed out by differential back pressure readings from the dpf itself, via the differential pressure sensor & thermo couple data.

It seems from your post that the DPF had reached its maximum ash load and will need to be replaced.

Once replaced you then have to reset the soot load (which includes the ash )
This is a specific procedure using a factory style scanner loaded with an appropriate program/procedure.
Hope that helps your inquiry.
Regards
Tuercas Viejas

I believe ash content is calculated by measured dpf back pressure.
Ash can only be removed by mechanical means as it's the remains of a soot regeneration cycle.
There are several methods of removing ash, common one involves blowing ash out of the dpf. Also you can get a chemical clean

I believe ash content is calculated by measured dpf back pressure.

But how does it distinguish between the back pressure created by soot?

The ash content is calculated from the amount of fuel used & regens.

I think Tuercas viejas is most probably correct, that it totals the number of regens i.e. how much soot it has burned over the life, and makes a guestimate of how ash would be created. It says I have 9g/l of ash so maybe I have had a total of 100g/l or 1000g/l of soot (or some such multiple) over the 180K miles.

I am just guessing but It would be nice to know...

Anyway the filter is not blocked but I understand it needs to be replaced...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom