ATF levels 722.6

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

74merc

Car
W115 220 S202 C280 Subaru Outback 3.0R
Hi,
does anyone know why there is a level for cold ATF (10-20mm) and a level for hot ATF (54-64mm)? Does the ATF expand when it gets heated or is there another explanation?
The reason I ask is that I drained my gearbox and torque converter when they were hot. I measured the amount of hot oil (7.5 litres) and replaced with the exact same amount of cold oil. I didn't have a dipstick at the time but I've since made one from curtain wire. Now it appears that I have overfilled as the level is too high by about 10mm. Obviously the gearbox could have been overfilled to begin with but I just thought I would put the question to the forum.
Martin

Hi,
does anyone know why there is a level for cold ATF (10-20mm) and a level for hot ATF (54-64mm)? Does the ATF expand when it gets heated or is there another explanation?
The reason I ask is that I drained my gearbox and torque converter when they were hot. I measured the amount of hot oil (7.5 litres) and replaced with the exact same amount of cold oil. I didn't have a dipstick at the time but I've since made one from curtain wire. Now it appears that I have overfilled as the level is too high by about 10mm. Obviously the gearbox could have been overfilled to begin with but I just thought I would put the question to the forum.
Martin

Hi

i was speaking to Druk at the Scottish Meet and he said that he and "the other forum" had discovered that the curtain wire dipstick will be incorrect. Apparently, the proper MB dipstick does not go right down into the bottom of the pan, it stops higher up due to notches on the dipstick, so the curtain wire is inaccurate if it was made based on the original MB dipstick.

I would get a proper dipstick from a Dealer and check it again.

That sounds plausible so maybe the level is correct. It would be good if someone who has the proper dipstick, took a reading with the dipstick and the curtain wire to see if there is any difference.

There is disagreement following my posting on this subject on the M.B.O.C. private forum. A person :devil: who used to be active on this and on the Owners Club forum took pains to point out to me that an 'MB Techie' had compared the levels in a car using the correct factory dipstick and someones homemade one. These levels were the same. Allegedly.

My argument goes thus.........Poking the factory dipstick down the hole when there is no sump fitted reveals that said dipstick does NOT reach the level at which the inner bottom of the sump pan would be when fitted. There are two small shoulders on the plastic part of the stick and these must hit against a restriction in the lower part of the tube. Making a dipstick (without these shoulders) but to the same measurement would result in a low oil reading since the stick would go further down the hole until it reached the pan bottom. (Or, conversely, If you had put the correct amount in it would appear as a high reading) At a guess by about 10mm.

Who am I to argue with a bona fide techie?

Go and buy a proper dipstick: if the levels are the same then at least you will have peace of mind and I can finish my humble pie.

W1405891521 00 'measuring stick'

Last edited:
Cheers, I think I'll buy a proper dipstick. I'll report back my findings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom