Attention Assist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CardinalZeus77

Car
Porsche 991.2 911 Carrera S
After owning the car for over 2 years and 33K miles in the Attention Assist came on and beeped for the first time last night on the M1 at around midnight. I was very tired driving back from London and was starting to nod off and it went off. Very impressed!

I always wondered if it worked and I can say it definitely does.

Thanks. That's reassuring to know. I've often wondered if it really does work. How loud a beep was it?

I've had it once too after always wondering if it actually worked at all. Its a loud piercing BEEP and comes up with a coffee cup and 'Attention Assist: Drowsiness Detected!' in the middle of the speedo. The beep seemed to be the same as the loud beep if you leave your seatbelt off after the 'bongs'.

I've tried to set it off purposely before by just straying out of a lane on a long journey then swiftly moving back to the centre much like you would if you were dozing off but the system can't be fooled. Very clever and has probably saved a few lives!

It partially mutes the sound system, turns the instrument cluster red and makes a moderately loud (i.e. not startlingly loud) beep-beep-beep noise.

DAMHIK :eek:

Thanks. That's reassuring to know. I've often wondered if it really does work. How loud a beep was it?

It's quite loud Beep Beep but not too loud to completely startle you! You get the coffee cup and 'Attention Assist: Drowsiness Detected!' in the middle of the speedo.

It came on for the first time last Friday after a 16hr day and 6hrs driving in the rain. Fortunately I was near home but it made me realise how tired I was. Impressive tech...

I've had it once too after always wondering if it actually worked at all. Its a loud piercing BEEP and comes up with a coffee cup and 'Attention Assist: Drowsiness Detected!' in the middle of the speedo. The beep seemed to be the same as the loud beep if you leave your seatbelt off after the 'bongs'.

I've tried to set it off purposely before by just straying out of a lane on a long journey then swiftly moving back to the centre much like you would if you were dozing off but the system can't be fooled. Very clever and has probably saved a few lives!
i did even more than that! I was accelerating and decelerating, swerving slightly to left and right on the road, and even extra blinking on my eyes, nope it didn't set it off!!

It should be compulsory fit to all vehicles inc HGV.

It came on for the first time last Friday after a 16hr day and 6hrs driving in the rain. Fortunately I was near home but it made me realise how tired I was. Impressive tech...
Hey! I might get to see that tomorrow as I am taking my son down to London, bet I'll be tired on my way back to Manc!!

i did even more than that! I was accelerating and decelerating, swerving slightly to left and right on the road, and even extra blinking on my eyes, nope it didn't set it off!!

It should be compulsory fit to all vehicles inc HGV.
Surely you were both doing things that would alert the system to you being alert, not falling asleep.

It looks for you not reacting regularly.

Only time I have had mine go off was in very strong side winds - assumed it thought I was being erratic due to constant small steering adjustments to compensate for the wind as I was not aware of being particularly tired

Hmm I find the "your going to crash into the car in front" alert bloody annoying - you can't turn it off either - beep beep beep if i accelerate to fast and it detects a car in front.

It partially mutes the sound system, turns the instrument cluster red and makes a moderately loud (i.e. not startlingly loud) beep-beep-beep noise.

DAMHIK :eek:

I think it would be more effective if it launched a boxing glove in the drivers face who had nodded off.. :D

Well, it works and works well :)

The v/o on this cheesy video 2012 Mercedes M-Class - Attention Assist - YouTube says it has an alert triggered by the small steering corrections which are a common sign of tiredness (hence big silver's cross-winds incident). Once it is triggered it looks for other signs of low alertness and if they are present the alarm sounds. It also says something about sampling your driving at the beginning of the journey Vs later on. Which sounds a bit daft to me if you are manoeuvring out of the 'burbs onto faster roads, which i guess is how a lot of 1hr plus journeys begin

I have noticed it detect other things.
Like constant fiddling with seat and/or dash controls.
It knows....

Or sometimes I'm trying to attend to the little one in the back.
It knows....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom