audible indicator beep when towing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kylezx7r

Car
mercedes M300 Sport
I have a 2010 ML 300 (W164)
I recently fitted a tow bar and used a proper mercedes dedicated wiring kit meaning everything just plugs in and theres no cutting wires etc.

everything works ok except I dont get an audible beep when indicating. Theres no beep and no light.

Can anyone advise?. Do I need to get it coded or is there something else I need to do to enable the indicator beep

I have a 2010 ML 300 (W164)
I recently fitted a tow bar and used a proper mercedes dedicated wiring kit meaning everything just plugs in and theres no cutting wires etc.

everything works ok except I dont get an audible beep when indicating. Theres no beep and no light.

Can anyone advise?. Do I need to get it coded or is there something else I need to do to enable the indicator beep

Neither my last car (S211) or this new one (S212) make any audible sound when the indicators are working. The 211 had a factory towbar and the 212 has a self-fitted Bosal with dedicated Westfalia loom and although that did get coded by Merc it worked straight out the box and was silent.

Neither my last car (S211) or this new one (S212) make any audible sound when the indicators are working. The 211 had a factory towbar and the 212 has a self-fitted Bosal with dedicated Westfalia loom and although that did get coded by Merc it worked straight out the box and was silent.

Same here. I took mine back and asked why it did not beep. Was told a properly fitted, and coded one will not. I thought it was law to have an audible warning bleep? Was told It should flag a bulb error on the dash, just like any other bulb, so assume all is ok. Not had a bulb go on the caravan yet to test it.

Neil

Hmmm ok thanks guys, it's a weird one because I did have an indicator bulb out on my caravan and it still didn't give me any indication. I might have to contact MB as it is law to have indication, I've just done my towing test and that is one of the points you have to know

Hi, i to have just purchase a ml300 w164, and will be having a tow bar fitted early in the new year for pulling my caravan, have you done anything to your engine cooling fan?
The reason for asking is one of the mechanics at the dealer where i bought it from says i need to upgrade the fan from the 600w one fitted to a 850w for towing, dearer quote £640 + vat for new fan supply only.

evansaj23 said:
Hi, i to have just purchase a ml300 w164, and will be having a tow bar fitted early in the new year for pulling my caravan, have you done anything to your engine cooling fan? The reason for asking is one of the mechanics at the dealer where i bought it from says i need to upgrade the fan from the 600w one fitted to a 850w for towing, dearer quote £640 + vat for new fan supply only.

No I didn't bother, I have a large twin axle caravan and have towed it all over the place and the temperature doesn't move from 85 degrees. I will keep a close eye on it in the summer but I really don't think I'll have a problem

When towing, all you need to have is a warning system to say the towed vehicle lights are working. The bulb failure system on Mercedes cover this. i have towed with all of my Mercs and none of them had audible warning on indicators.

Contacted MB today and apparently my ML might need coded. And they'll charge me £130 for the pleasure haha

^ that's what I was told by my indie but it turned out it needed connected to Germany via a landline. £128 thank-you :(

^ that's what I was told by my indie but it turned out it needed connected to Germany via a landline. £128 thank-you :(

Some indies can do this.... I think it's called SD Connect and costs the indie more...

Just an update incase any is interested. When you fit a tow bar to the ML 300 and you use a dedicated wiring harness you don't necessarily need to code it as you will get a visual alert to and indicator bulb failure.
However you should get it coded as then you will also get an audible alert but it will also turn the parking sensors off when reversing which is good.

Took me 3 God damn weeks to find this out

With regards to the temp gauge when towing, it only tells you the engine temp and not gearbox temp, as the upgrade is for extra cooling of the gearbox oil, i think I might upgrade mine rather than risk expensive gearbox repairs!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom