Audio 20 Aux Input

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grumpyoldgit

MB Enthusiast
Car
C270CDI Avantgarde SE
Advice please guys.

I have an Audio 20 with 6 x CD changer in glovebox.
If I press and hold the CDC button, the display changes to Aux - Input Active.
According to the user manual it's possible to connect to the 'Chinch' Socket which is located in the glovebox. I've searched and searched but cannot find anything. Would this socket be obvious if indeed there was one?
Is it possible to retro fit one? Does the 'Input Active' display indicate that one was previously fitted, but has been removed, or is this the standard display message?

Any help appreciated.

Don't know about a CLK and a 'cinch' socket, but on a W211 a 3.5mm jack socket was in the top forward centre of the glovebox inner, very well camouflaged in black, (same in my CLS). So well hidden that it was 4 yrs before I discovered it!
Doubt if anyone would ever remove one, and if so there would be ahole left. If you can get access to the rear of the head unit, you should be able to fit a 3.5mm headphone socket male/female extension and have it end up wherever you want it.
Using it has no effect on the display in my car, other than the need to select 'Aux' on comand.

Many thanks for your response effbee.

The car is a W203 C270 CDI, not a CLK, but I would imagine the same applies.
Can't see anywhere to plug anything into and don't want to start removing the unit so will make do with good old CD's. lol

I'm still on my quest of trying to establish if there is an Aux input socket in the glovebox.

I'm begining to think that MB should write a manual for idiots the same as the 'Microsoft Windows for Idiots' series. :doh:

I have found a small plastic plug type 'thingy' right at the front..... could this be the 'chinch' socket mentioned in the Audio manual? (Pictures attached).

I have tried pulling it, twisting it, prising it with my nail, all to no avail. Before I get a hammer and chisel to it would anyone know if this is the 'thingy'?
If you look closely, there appears to be a very small screw on the left, towards the top which kind of implies to me that it's hinged, and why the looped part?
I can't see any other possible reason for it to be there.

IMG_0023reduced.jpg

IMG_0024reduced.jpg

IMG_0025cropped.jpg

Ummnn... That plastic 'type thingy' is either a holder for something, and one of them is broken.

The plug in your car would normally be to the right of the glovebox and is just a small silver headphone style socket.

However in later models, and possibly in yours, it's hidden behind a round plastic cover, which swivels to give you access.

In your car, if you can't find it without three minutes or so. You don't have it.

Post a picture of your glove box from the front and I can check for you if you want. It might look like just a nut with a hole.

You would think they would make it easier and more obvious to spot. In my c class I only went looking because the command had an Aux button. In the a class I just bought it not has the audio 20, and I didn't look because it didn't have a button, although after coming across a post on here I tried the holding CDC thing, so went looking for it. Annoyingly though I have the round swivel cover, but no connector behind it lol. Grrrrr.

The first line doesn't make sense as I was thinking of something else when I remembered its a pen holder I think.

I think you can have either the CD player or the aux input. At least that is my understanding from wiring the aux in on my W203. May be if you ask Richard or Alfie at commandonline.co.uk, they could confirm.

It would be on the left, about 3" in. If your car hasn't got one then you can see the knock-out hole if you look carefully

If it hasn't you have to determine whether the car has the intermediate white 4 pin connector in the wiring duct in the passenger sill. If so, you need a cable from there to the glovebox. If not you need one going to the back of the stereo.

You can get either from Comand Online (search for AUX)

R

It would be on the left, about 3" in. If your car hasn't got one then you can see the knock-out hole if you look carefully

If it hasn't you have to determine whether the car has the intermediate white 4 pin connector in the wiring duct in the passenger sill. If so, you need a cable from there to the glovebox. If not you need one going to the back of the stereo.

You can get either from Comand Online (search for AUX)

R

Many thanks Richard, malluboy77, sinewave & Mega_Angelic. I've taken another look and there's definitely not a socket there, so once this rain stops and I have chance I'll start the search for the white 4 pin connector. Thanks again guys :thumb:

Thanks SSc180k that's a great link with superb photographic illustrations.

As for the pen holder......:doh::wallbash:

I can see what it is quite clearly now everyone has pointed it out. PMSL
(If only the owners manual was a bit more comprehensive ... lol).

Thanks again.

On my W212, having determined that the grey twisty thing on the top inside of the glove box wasn't the aux socket but a louvre for keeping the contents of the glove box cool, I think I may have a clue to the location of the jack socket. On the inside right wall of the glove box about an inch from the front edge is a round raised plastic piece covered in the same felt as the compartment. Douglas Adams would describe this as "a black button on a black background that when pressed illuminates letters in black saying 'Do not press this button'".
Anyway I think from the above thread that the aux socket might be behind this piece of trim, and it does seem to have an open edge I get my thumb into. Having said that I cannot lift this piece off. Before I resort to percussive maintenance does this group know whether the socket is behind this, or is the trim a "blank" because the socket is NOT there?

O
Anyway I think from the above thread that the aux socket might be behind this piece of trim, and it does seem to have an open edge I get my thumb into. Having said that I cannot lift this piece off. Before I resort to percussive maintenance does this group know whether the socket is behind this, or is the trim a "blank" because the socket is NOT there?

Its a blank where the socket would go. But the socket is not installed if you have Media Interface (so look for a much larger connector somewhere in the glovebox) and I don't know what model year AUX may have moved, as Media interface / USB are appearing in the centre armrest on newer cars.

Cheers

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom