Audio advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chouchou

Car
none
I am certain this question has been asked many times however, the world of aftermarket car audio seems to change so rapidly that advice or suggestions given 1 week ago is as stale as a slice of bread left on the counter for the same length of time...anyhow, I have just purchased a beautiful, very low mileage 380 SL that comes with an 8 track...not that bad-sorry to those 8 track lovers out there, but really would like to upgrade the whole sound system...I am a complete novice when it comes to car audio so would appreciate any advice that allows me to bring the car up to 2015 without looking like an episode of bling my ride. Thank you in advance.

Not an expert on SL audio installations - but I think that first of all, you need to consider what your objectives are. A 380SL that's old enough to have an 8-track installed AND has very low mileage is an investment-grade classic vehicle.

A vehicle of that age isn't going to have the mounting points for decent-sized speakers, so your first decision is "How much an I prepared to compromise the value of the vehicle, in order to get decent sound quality?".

Note additionally that a modern stereo will look out of place in your elegant classic car - in your position I'd tend to go for an old head unit from ebay (20-year old top-of-the-range units are now pocket change) and a CD changer in the boot, rather than digital / MP3 kinda thing.

But cutting holes for speakers is a big decision......

HTH, Chris
93 220CE, auto, red / black leather, 102k, Manchester

The first thing to do is measure the existing unit and then go hunting online. The options are basically, a single DIN unit, a single DIN unit with slide out screen, a replica/older style looking unit that has modern innards/workings or, as mentioned, an add on unit that allows music to be played from an exterior source (such as an iPod) through the existing head unit.

It is possible that a standard, generic housing may fit in the dash but it will likely need a rear support strap for when the new head unit slides in.

The speakers are easy, presuming you already have some fitted. Measure the existing speakers and fit modern replacements. If none are fitted, rather than cutting holes in panels etc, I would consider under seat mounted speakers in simple boxes, attached to something to prevent movement/rattles.

None of this is difficult on a car of that age BUT keep any old units/grills etc for either re-installing on sale or for passing onto new owner.

Last edited:
There's only two 4" speakers as standard in these, so it's a little tricky to upgrade.

I've stuck an Alpine CD/MP3 player in mine with Bluetooth so now have hands free. I ran the microphone up to the mirror - no cutting of anything at all!

As you are extremely limited with 4" speakers (I have good ones, but even these will not give any bass), I've fitted an 10" Powered sub under the passenger seat. There isn't a lot more room for anything bigger, or a custom box, but this fits perfectly. This is the one I have (although I got it a bit cheaper than this!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00379UM7M/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

The difference is amazing, but don't expect miracles - you aren't going to get Hi-Fi quality with 4" speakers up front. Again, no holes cut, just a live direct from the battery through existing cable routes.

I've seen quite a few R107's with speaker cut into the rear filler panels, but as mine didn't have them already I decided not to mess around with the original panels.

Dear All, thanks for your advice it is much appreciated...i will keep you posted on any changes i make...Carl, thank you for the specific advice...regards, Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom