Auto Box recalibrate with star diagnostics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

forkliftbodger

Car
c220cdi
help needed, I have replaced the conductor plate on my w203 c220 cdi.and I have been told that it needs to be calibrated to the car,hence still have the fault. is there anyone in the corby area with the star diagnostic that could help me and re set it and how much please.

When I had mine done, I was told MB regard gearbox TCUs as a 'security' part which requires connection to MBs German servers for 'calibration'. In my case, this meant the car being taken to a MB dealer and a charge of £100.

The 'calibration' included getting the latest gearbox software downloaded as well, and it has been extremely smooth since.

I don't think this is required on a W203 (what year is it?) but stand to be corrected. If the fault has not been cleared then it could still give the symptoms. Who changed the plate? Was the correct amount of oil added and checked at the correct temp?

You need to get it on MB star to tell the ecu it has been change ie fault cleared
no need for online coding

thanks for the reply's. its an 02 plate, and I changed it myself with the correct oil and levels and temp.as I'm an engineer and then I got my mate with his snap on analyser to clear the codes......and yes I know I should have wrote them down!! but he said it was speed sensor fault. hence am after someone with star.

Correct, it is most commonly the speed sensor that fails on these and requires the plate to be replaced. Did you change the connector (pilot bush)? Have you checked that oil hasn't travelled up the loom to the TCU?

Can your mate with the snap on re-read the vehicle? STAR may not be necessary if you can get the codes re-read. Also, travelling in one gear means you can't get far either!

hi bob, yes I changed the pilot bush and no oil contamination at the tcu end all nice an dry also new filter aswell. I should have watched him clear the codes as you know what its like when someone else does a job for you, your not a 100% sure they have done it right.ill get him back and get the codes out of it. and yes the poor old girl is is in my garage not liking not changing gear lol.

The speed sensor can only be reset by star not snap on as this will not get into the complex ecu system

You are a bit far away otherwise you are welcome to use mine. Clive knows a lot more about these than I do, but if the code was picked up initially from TCU, surely it can communicate with it?

The speed sensor can only be reset by star not snap on as this will not get into the complex ecu system

Sorry but this is wrong, I have done multiple speed sensor replacements over the years not to mention other repairs and my snap on has been fine.

If the speed sensor was really at fault then something has not been done properly when ot was replaced or it wasn't the speed sensor in the first place.

thanks for your answer auto- mobile that's made it more easier than trying to find someone with star. ill get my mates snap on and read the codes myself this time. hopefully its something else.

Sorry but this is wrong, I have done multiple speed sensor replacements over the years not to mention other repairs and my snap on has been fine.

If the speed sensor was really at fault then something has not been done properly when ot was replaced or it wasn't the speed sensor in the first place.

Sorry but snap on diagnostics cannot as they cant read the complex MB Star,
i have a local garage that has snap on software and he cant even cancel the service items so he comes to me where as star can

On a 2003 the new speed plate does not need any coding in. That's only for later 7g boxes.

Most snap on diagnostic machines will clear the codes fine.

Clive we use star and snap on. All depends which model of snap on you have. It can do at least 70% of functions star can.. With the advantage it works on all makes and models!

On a 2003 the new speed plate does not need any coding in. That's only for later 7g boxes.

Most snap on diagnostic machines will clear the codes fine.

Clive we use star and snap on. All depends which model of snap on you have. It can do at least 70% of functions star can.. With the advantage it works on all makes and models!

any model from 1996 will need the fault code cleared otherwise it will still be in limp mode :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom