Auto open/close boot not working 100% - W215/220

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martyp87

Car
W166 GLE350d
So I finally got my CL back from the body shop, it is now officially mint! :banana:

I now have a niggle I need to fix which is the boot. When I use either the button on the door/fob or open it manually from the boot, it will open itself about half way and then stop. To fully open the boot takes a fair bit of force manually pushing it up.

When either fully open or half open however, the auto close feature works a treat.

Any ideas what to take a look at? My first thought was the normal gas struts, could this be the problem or something else.

It is going to the main dealer for an oil change on Saturday but thought if I can have a play with it tomorrow I could go and order the parts required at the same time without spending money on them looking at it. :)

Thanks in advance.

Wow, could it be that simple! I was going to put a little grease on the metal hinges tomorrow when I am going to detail the interior as they looked pretty dry.

So now for the daft question, where are the springs located!? :eek:

Open the boot and the springs have some plastic covers on them, they are part of the mechanism that lift the boot up. There is a long spring on each side (it should be obvious if you look at it)! Simply pull the plastic off, lube it and then put the cover on.

Brilliant, thanks very much for your help!

If the springs don't do it, I'll pull the gas struts off and see if one or both are faulty and order them from the dealer. Hoping for a free fix now though...

Hopefully that should fix it, it sounds like you have exactly he same problem I did!

There are a few reasons for this - I've got the same powered boot as you & at first mine was little slow. Greasing the sliders worked a treat and its fine now. Incidentally - this may be a daft question BUT - you haven't set the convenience feature on the dash to set the boot to only open half way ? It's to stop the boot lid hitting a low garage door or asset of roof mounted skis.
Other than that, a common problem is that the small pump which powers the boot (lives under the battery in a W215) over time can lose its hydraulic fluid, which lives in a small clear plastic reservoir. MB will try and sell you the whole unit for about 700 quid, but search the net & you'll find lots of examples of people who've just prised the reservoir apart, topped it up and fixed the leak. Either way -good luck !

Hello again, I'd love to say I've fixed it but I'm still having issues.

The biggest one is, I can't find these springs!? I have two rams, two steel brackets, and one wire running to the boot lid.

Photo below:

MPG, how can I check if it is set to only open half way in the settings. The menus in the instrument cluster drive me nuts!

It's in either the "vehicle" or "convenience" sub-menu, I forget which, just scroll through them. I'd be prepared to bet that the "restrict boot opening" is set to on. A fantastically useful feature.

Sorry, looking at your picture, mine isn't auto-closing so is different!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom