Autonomous Cars

Would you buy an autonomous car

• Yes

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 21 77.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scooby_Doo

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Macan S
I can't see the point of an autonomous car , unless someone can convince me otherwise , and why so much money is being spent on developing them.

Would you buy one if one was available ?

Last edited:
I'd buy one and if the world does head that way it will decimate the taxi industry.

OOPS , anybody know how to change the end date for this poll please ???:doh::doh:

I only drive when I want to, so can't see the point of owning one.

I would be happy to be a passenger in one though

I'd never buy one because I still love driving.

However, maybe in the distant future it'll be compulsory for every vehicle in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Safety. Efficiency. Congestion.

Would I trust an autonomous car? Maybe

Would I trust a human any more? Maybe not.

I would.

Of course... when they're ready in 20 years time

The-original-Rolls-Royce-Trials-car-1701.jpg

Certainly, without a shadow of a doubt.

When they're commercially viable and "not that expensive" compared to a second car.

The only question is whether I would simply rent one from Uber when you need it.

Ideal after commuting, a few drinks, for the children and for the elderly.

But obviously I'd still want a proper car.

But then I said I'd buy a Horseless carriage, when I saw my first Silver Ghost in 1911.... when they become commercially viable and not that expensive. One day, when they're ready and all the gremlins have been sorted out.

And it took forty years for them to be affordable.

God willing, I'll be dead before they become all that's available! :ban::ban::ban:

I hate being a passenger in a car as it is!

I enjoy driving too much

I thought one of the major points of autonomous cars was that you didn't have to have one of your own. Call for one when you need it like a taxi.

There are a lot of things about autonomous cars that I am less than enthusiastic about.

I'd buy one and if the world does head that way it will decimate the taxi industry.

100% agree with you there, hopefully I'll be about finished as a taxi driver by then!

I can't see the point of an autonomous car , unless someone can convince me otherwise , and why so much money is being spent on developing them.

Would you buy one if one was available ?

They are supposed to be safer.

Ever since I experienced distronic I've got faith in autonomous cars. - If you've got distronic plus and lane assistance, you're not far away from an autonomous car already.

The idea solution would probably be a car you can drive yourself down interesting roads, but when the cruise control is on it does all the driving its self.

Agree with Vintage Racer, hopefully I will be long gone

They are safer already

They are supposed to be safer.

The ones being tested are already safer. But arguably they do that by being more cautious than human drivers.

We report that we harm 180,000 people a year in the UK in road traffic collisions, including 22,000 cases of serious harm and 1,700 deaths. As drivers we're not as perfect as we'd like to think.

Like teen drivers, they won't be let onto the road until "we" believe that they are safe - which is an emotional, rather than statistical call.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...fety-autonomous-cars-are-still-teen-drivers1/

When Microsoft, Apple, Dell, Intel and co can produce affordable software and hardware that never crashes, I'll give it a thought. But even then human frailties will remain part of the equation in the design, construction, programming and maintenance of the control systems and infrastructure. All great stuff as aids and tools, but I'd struggle to rely on it implicitly. Most commercial aircraft can take off, fly and land at most airports completely automatically because each aircraft has millions of pounds worth of technology onboard. Would you happily be a passenger in one without at least one pilot? How about a car that only has a few hundred pounds worth of technology?

No.

No.

No.

No.

Did I say no?

No.

My daughter's generation might, but I could never fully trust a computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom