Avantegarde to Elegance suspension w210 - help needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mbz124

hi all,

i have 2000 reg w210 cdi avantgarde, the suspension was firm and great until my back started playing up. To soften the suspension is it a case of changing springs from avant to elegance? or is there anything else i need to do?

cheers
Mbz124.

I think we've got lowered chassis, so no it's probably not just a case of changing the springs.

I've had a shock absorber change, and presumably the system bled, and I've noticed the ride is very much smoother now.
However I'm also running the tyres a little softer than my usual wont i.e. they're on the lowest MB recommended pressure.

hi all,

i have 2000 reg w210 cdi avantgarde, the suspension was firm and great until my back started playing up. To soften the suspension is it a case of changing springs from avant to elegance? or is there anything else i need to do?
You will need to change shocks, springs and possibly the rubber spring pads.

Springs and pads are worked out according to the make up of your car and the options within in, a points system. If you post your VIN I'll work it out for you.

Which tyres do you have on? Michelin Primacy (for instance) are noticibly more comfortable than Continental especially on a harsh surface.

You will also need to have all the steering geometry redone as the Avantgard is quite a lot different to the Elegance. With all the change required, I would consider reducing the wheel size and fitting new tyres say down to 15"

Smaller wheels means higher profile tyres, softer ride.

The low profile 18-in set on mine are not the softest ride, even on Michelin PS. The OP has not told us what model W210 cdi or wheel set is fitted.

Before spending a lot of money swapping out the suspension, I'd try the tyre pressures, checking the shock absorbers and adjusting the seat to a more upright and hence more comfortable position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom