Average mpg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I keep accurate records of fuel use and for the 1st 12 months of ownership averaged 53 mpg over 18000 miles. This mainly consists of commute to work of 35 miles each way with about 25 miles of motorway and cruise set at 70. Currently doing 51 mpg since January but this will rise with warmer weather. Car is 2011 Cdi 200 BE 7sp auto.

I'm a fan of saving a penny where possible. I drive with my eyes on the mpg gauge adjusting my driving accordingly. All these cars with 10 mpg is just ridiculous in my opinion as a an everyday car. People on here must have money to burn.

It is your opinion but ridiculous?
Each to their own would be more appropriate, just my opinion :rolleyes:

Mine is my daily drive and I wouldn't change it for anything else.
Money to burn? I hand my fuel receipts in to my accountant and it's a huge chunk off my annual Corporation/Company Tax

That aside, if you can't afford the fuel, don't buy the car :dk:

That's another topic altogether "Who uses an AMG as an daily driver?" could be a good un, for the comments :D

I certainly don't, I average 40000 - 50000 miles a year, my daily driver is a Vito.

I'd be scared to tot up the fuel if I averaged low mpg over my annual mileage :eek:

Surely the 10k p/a mileage allowance on the lease deals prevents much 'daily driver' use?

It is your opinion but ridiculous?
Each to their own would be more appropriate, just my opinion :rolleyes:

Mine is my daily drive and I wouldn't change it for anything else.
Money to burn? I hand my fuel receipts in to my accountant and it's a huge chunk off my annual Corporation/Company Tax

That aside, if you can't afford the fuel, don't buy the car :dk:

That's the reason why fuel has come down 9p a litre in the north over the last 12 months, Chris has been kindly subsidising us up here :D;)

do you do a lot of miles in yours Chris? with what you're putting down onto the road, I honestly thought that it would be your weekend car.

I can honestly say that as much as I'd love to drive mine everyday for work, it's just a toy for weekends + holidays

Surely the 10k p/a mileage allowance on the lease deals prevents much 'daily driver' use?

Yes, lease deals are quiet restrictive when it comes to mileage.

But I own mine and I still couldn't justify running it with the amount of miles I travel for work hence the van, and even for an E class boot is not big enough for my tools.

That's the reason why fuel has come down 9p a litre in the north over the last 12 months, Chris has been kindly subsidising us up here :D;)

do you do a lot of miles in yours Chris? with what you're putting down onto the road, I honestly thought that it would be your weekend car.

I can honestly say that as much as I'd love to drive mine everyday for work, it's just a toy for weekends + holidays

I do about 20k miles/year, most of it abroad
Luckily I have my own Company so makes things a little easier offsetting figures ;)

I do about 20k miles/year, most of it abroad
Luckily I have my own Company so makes things a little easier offsetting figures ;)

I know exactly what you mean mate.

I'll have to get your accountants details, mine get suspicious of all the diesel receipts I give him for the year.

He'd have a fit if they turned into petrol ones and about 3 times as many :D

ChrisA said:
It is your opinion but ridiculous? Each to their own would be more appropriate, just my opinion

10 mpg is ridiculous as a daily drive. Each to there own yes I agree but people who drive cars with this kind of mpg return are either loaded or an out and out poser. It is not economically viable in my opinion to drive a car like that but as you said each to their own !!

2003 CLK 200K Petrol. Recent trip to Devon the computer said 40.0, average speed 54mph. Best its ever shown was 42.8 on a run to Italy.
By way of contrast I have just taken the S124 280 back to Italy. Having had new Lambda and MAF sensors I rather stupidly thought the mpg might have improved. Brim to Brim check at around 300miles a rather pathetic 26mpg. Running at an indicated 75mph most of the time. After that I gave up checking. Fortunately fuel prices in France and Italy have also dropped a bit recently.

10 mpg is ridiculous as a daily drive. Each to there own yes I agree but people who drive cars with this kind of mpg return are either loaded or an out and out poser. It is not economically viable in my opinion to drive a car like that but as you said each to their own !!

I never mentioned "economically viable" did I?

You are very opinionated but maybe just a tad envious of those with a little dosh?:crazy:
I sacrifice 6 months a year away from my family (My choice) to be able to afford the little things in life without caring for what mpg I am getting :dk:

Don't be resentful of others, it's just not right :cool:

Your thread reads MPG and you ask others for their figures, then slate them.
Go figure :eek:

I'm a fan of saving a penny where possible. I drive with my eyes on the mpg gauge adjusting my driving accordingly. All these cars with 10 mpg is just ridiculous in my opinion as a an everyday car. People on here must have money to burn.

Maybe:) I had a car that did between 4 and 8MPG with ludicrous incompetence. My record was emptying the 20gal tank in 88 miles.

I only did 1500 miles a year, which was a set of rear tyres.

But 1500 very, very enjoyable miles:) My other car was sensible.

No i am skint (fuel costs) ugly fat and ginger with a small boys pe*is, thats why I drive an AMG:D

Ginger55k said:
No i am skint (fuel costs) ugly fat and ginger with a small boys pe*is, thats why I drive an AMG:D

Fat I believe but skint no is that a manor house your car is parked outside of ..

Fat I believe but skint no is that a manor house your car is parked outside of ..

You really should not presume, the photo is one I took off the web advert when i bought the car, and thanks for reminding me of my medical condition (i'am an anorexic bulimic with amnesia)

So you think i'am fat, yes 6" 3" built like a brick sh*thouse, go on call me fatty, still drive an AMG though.

Back on topic my E280 does about 40mpg

MPG.... if this is a factor then there are a plethora of cars that will go to the moon and back on just a whiff of an oily rag. To some people a car is just a tool to get from A to B. To these people MPG is important. To other people MPG is important because they need the car to get to/from work. Some people are forced to use 'thrifty cars' because of the cost of fuel. Some people save money so they can go on holiday, bingo, whatever. Then there are.... 'The others' some of the 'others' can afford to drive whatever vehicle they like whenever they like. Some of the 'others' (quite a lot) enjoy driving something 'with a bit of poke' some enjoy driving 4 x 4 that use fuel even when parked;), in short, they enjoy the vehicle they chose because it was what they wanted. Cars are as varied as the people who drive them. On the whole its a matter of choice. if someone wants to drive 'gas guzzler', and can afford to do so, then good for them.....My car does an average of 21.1 mpg.
Whilst I am on the forum.....where is the best place to buy some 275 35 19" tyres? only got 2400miles from my last set:D

Last edited:

We drive both AMGs every day: one is for me to schlep up and down the motorway to and from work, and the other is the family/shopping/school/towing/holiday/everything car, and it's great at it too :cool:

Sadly no money to burn though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom