B200 W245 best audio options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beefyburt

Car
B200 SE CDI Auto 2005
Hi. New here, just bought a 2005 B200 SE CDI Auto. It has the standard radio/cd, with a 4 disc changer in the glovebox, but no aux point in the glovebox.
So what's the easiest way, as well as the cheapest way, to alter the system to allow me to play either an mp3 player, or plug in a usb stick?
Ive read about radio amps, but don't understand how that works tbh, and ive also seen some complete new units on ebay, but with mixed reviews- cheap Chinese tat or what?
Help please, cant go back to having cd;s all over the car, jeez its not 1990!
Thanks.

Google Belkin TuneCast.

They have various models depending on your phone etc.

It worked very well for me on my 2006 W203.

Alternatively talk to www.comandonline.co.uk regarding you options for a more professional solution.

Hi and welcome!

Does your head unit look like the one here:

35028613291_a277a7c649_o.jpg

If yes, then it's Audio 20 and it might be possible to retrofit an AUX input, so you can plug in a 3.5mm jack - enabled mobile or mp3 player.

This will depend on the model of Audio 20 - some, though look the same won't have the ability to play mp3 and then nothing can be done. Does your CDC plays mp3 CDs?

What happens if you hold CDC button for 3 seconds - do you see AUX INPUT on the screen? (or AUX not connected or something to that effect - can't check as I have one installed and working fine on mine).

Also, if you can fit the AUX successfully (it's about £3 for a cable - that's all), then you might be able to add a powered (important) 3.5mm ---> USB adapter

Last edited:
Just read your post again, is it 4x CDC or 6x CDC?
I can't remember for sure, but I think the mp3 capacity came with the 6x CDC ...

Just read your post again, is it 4x CDC or 6x CDC?
I can't remember for sure, but I think the mp3 capacity came with the 6x CDC ...

Hi. Thanks for the quick reply. Its a 4 cdc. I will check out the other details this weekend. I know there isn't an aux point, so the Belkin wont work I don't think.
Will have a good look around and then report back.
Cheers.

For a car of that period, the mp3 capability might be listed in the datacard - you can check yours here (good to have that anyway):

https://www.vindecoderz.com

or here: Mercedes-Benz VIN wdd2451232j123456 2014 | MBFans.info
(replace the dummy VIN with yours - not possible to create a link to an empty field)

If you see something like 819 - mp3-capable CD Changer, then it will be possible to add an AUX input...

Last edited:
For a car of that period, the mp3 capability might be listed in the datacard - you can check yours here (good to have that anyway):

https://www.vindecoderz.com

or here: Mercedes-Benz VIN wdd2451232j123456 2014 | MBFans.info
(replace the dummy VIN with yours - not possible to create a link to an empty field)

If you see something like 819 - mp3-capable CD Changer, then it will be possible to add an AUX input...

Well, its seems to get worse! Although I do have a 4 CDC, it doesn't work. When I press the button, it just says 'no cdc'. So I checked the unit and could not find and wires at the back of it. Its just fixed, but not connected to anything! I could see a cut out hole for the wires, but no wires!

So im reduced to old school one cd at a time. Or radio. Its like 1999 all over!

Ive found this on ebay, might be an option, but some of the reviews aint good.

7"Car DVD GPS Sat Nav 3G Mercedes Benz A B Class W169 W245 Vito Viano VW Crafter | eBay

What you think? (thanks for all your advice btw).

So did you check your datacard, do you have an mp3 capability?
Also, is it Audio 20 you have?
If yes to both questions, it'll be easy to add an AUX port, even if your original CDC was removed (and replaced by a 4 CD storage unit, I suspect).

The aftermarket HU you linked is a very slow processor, low resolution screen and running WinCE ... wouldn't touch it personally.

There are some half-decent aftermarket units (model specific - W169/245), with a recent Android OS and quad- or better still, octo- CPUs, but you're looking at about £300 or more, for one of those.

Did you check the decoder? Your 4 deck CDC sounds like a "330 - CD compartment": just a place to store CDs that clutters up the glove compartment and I've never quite seen the point of. Anyone find it useful?

Did you check the decoder? Your 4 deck CDC sounds like a "330 - CD compartment": just a place to store CDs that clutters up the glove compartment and I've never quite seen the point of. Anyone find it useful?

Yes it seems I only have a cd holder!! why I don't know, seems a waste of space and very misleading. Need to find how to remove it so at least I have a bigger glovebox.

So did you check your datacard, do you have an mp3 capability?
Also, is it Audio 20 you have?
If yes to both questions, it'll be easy to add an AUX port, even if your original CDC was removed (and replaced by a 4 CD storage unit, I suspect).

The aftermarket HU you linked is a very slow processor, low resolution screen and running WinCE ... wouldn't touch it personally.

There are some half-decent aftermarket units (model specific - W169/245), with a recent Android OS and quad- or better still, octo- CPUs, but you're looking at about £300 or more, for one of those.

Hi. Yes its the Audio 20, and yes the 4 cd holder is only just that, a holder. Crazy! I've tried to play mp3 cd's but it wont work.

I've seen the Android units, but they are around £250/300, plus fitting of course, and being very tight I may just listen to cd's! (one at a time of course).

Its now saying due a level 3 service, which I think is a minor one, so will take to a local Merc independent garage I've found and ask their advice about audio. Thanks again for all yours matey.

Yes, I suspected as much (as did the other Dave too) - a 4 CD storage unit was often fitted, when no CDC was specified for the build.

The Audio 20 itself will not play mp3, and for the non-CDC setup, the model of Audio 20 will, most likely be the one to which you can't add AUX port - see my earlier posts.

You can still try - it will only set you back a couple of quid - but, if not working, then a replacement of the head unit would be the only option.

Let me know if you want the instructions, on how to fit the AUX cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom