Back from Hols

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickmann

Car
Porsche 911
Hi All,

We just got back from our hols, and as the trusty c-class suffered from a failure I thought I'd post the details of the trip. It was this car's first long trip (in my hands) and I was really pleased with it.

Basically We drove to Bordeaux, tooled around near the Dordogne for a week, then drove down to the Spanish border between Biarritz and San Sebastion and tooled round in the Basque Country for a week.

Pluspoints -
We did 2,300 miles on the trip, 500 of which were in one go on the last day.
Aircon was fab, could get a shiver on even at 35 degrees outside.
Stability and ride good up to 100mph with one bike and a luggage box on the roof.
Without the luggage 120mph was comfy and quiet enough that no-one noticed.
I had the alignment re-done before leaving so no steering input required to go straight, and wheel dead level.
I got a best of 30mpg, general use, and still saw 25mpg on the last day which was pegged at 90mph with a roof load.
In-car DVD is a must for 2 kids under 10.
Blaupunkt TravelPilot was worth its weight in gold and a big improvement over the Garmin and a laptop. Best for avoiding huge traffic probs near Spain, and allowed me to be fearless in driving straight into cities.
Drove up a few mountains, no bother.

Bad points -
The car got quite dirty and required to be cleaned twice.
The car was so quiet I could hear the Mercedes 12v cooler box in the boot.
Burned/leaked/evaporated?? 1.5 litres of oil.

The failure -
One nozzle of driver's side screen washer got blocked, so I popped it out, cleared it, and the when I went to pop it back in it broke!!! No probs thought I, I tried to angle of one of the the pax side jets over, and snapped off the pin in the nozzle. getting a bit frsutrated I did exactly the same thing in the last remaining pax side nozzle. Great I thought, now I have to drive the length of France to get home with no squirters. So I used some gaffer tape to point the delivery hose at the screen, but couldn't get the angle right - each squirt (of about half a litre!) went straight over the roof. So I found a cocktail stick, and taped it in front of the delivery hose. The water stream now hit the cocktail stick, and fanned out over the screen. Perfick!! All thst remained was to use my touch-up paint to colour-code the cocktail stick and we were off!! And you know what? It works better than the proper jets!!

Hmm, sorry that's so long - I am suffering from post-holiday blues

Last edited:
all in all a successfull trip, sounds like a user failure more than anything ;) trusty c-class done you proud!

Lovely report back and a lovely part of the world you went to - we love it down that way ;)

Glad the car generally stood up to the trial well :D

It's nice isn't it? It was my first time to the Pyrenees. We've done the Vendee a few times , and we've done the Loire to death, but I reckon I'd like almost anywhere in France, although Brittany would be too similar to home to be a holiday.

I fancy a bit of a change for next time; I haven't been to Normandy or the Alps for a while.

I'm quite keen to go to the Alps soon - I want to ride either Ventoux, or Alp d'Huez, which are big cycling hills. (I did the Tourmalet last week, which is a big cycling hill in the Pyrenees)

It's interesting that you used some oil too - just got back from a trip down to the Loire Atlantique - see my post in the engine section of the forum...

Lazarus said:
It's interesting that you used some oil too - just got back from a trip down to the Loire Atlantique - see my post in the engine section of the forum...

I think it's pretty much a feature of the 240 v6. Dunno where it goes though. I've tried watching the exhaust on the first cold start of the day, and also flooring it at night with headlights behind me, but have never seen any sign of smoke.

I don't worry about it - I think of it as a "rolling oilchange program!"

From memory, MB says up to 1000km per litre is "acceptable". I think that is quite high consumption, personally, but mine has 81,000 miles on it and if it was going to blow up it would have done it by now.

nickmann said:
Blaupunkt TravelPilot was worth its weight in gold and a big improvement over the Garmin and a laptop. Best for avoiding huge traffic probs near Spain, and allowed me to be fearless in driving straight into cities.

We are off to Northern Spain in October for a couple of weeks. We will follow the Camino to Santiago before heading to the Picos de Europa.

Did you use the Blaupunkt Spain / Portugal disk, or the UK + European trunk roads disk? If you have the Spanish disk and an E-1 / E-2 TravelPilot, would you be interested in selling the disk? Later on, I could sell it back to you at a loss to me.....

Regards,

Tim

I used the Blaupunkt France + Major roads of Europe disk for TP E1, without TMC (although bizzarely TMC was working at one point).

You are more than welcome to borrow it, postage costs only, if it would be of any use to you.

PS - We found that near San Sebastion/Biarritz it paid to stay off the 2 main coast roads (N10 and A63) and go inland instead. The roads are small and slow, but you get a nice view and its better (IMO) than doing 10mph on a dual-carriageway.

Travelling

Just Got back from Izzalani (near Todi Italy) 3200 mile round trip. only one complaint... "the Italian Roads" in the mountains, scraped the plastic strips inder the car and the blind spot on the left rear. Other than that.. comfy ride, no back aches... air con excellent. Missing it already.
I also used the major roads of Europe disk then the main Italy disk... priceless tools

Last edited:
nickmann said:
I used the Blaupunkt France + Major roads of Europe disk for TP E1, without TMC (although bizzarely TMC was working at one point).

You are more than welcome to borrow it, postage costs only, if it would be of any use to you.

PS - We found that near San Sebastion/Biarritz it paid to stay off the 2 main coast roads (N10 and A63) and go inland instead. The roads are small and slow, but you get a nice view and its better (IMO) than doing 10mph on a dual-carriageway.

Nick, you have a PM.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom