Bad luck or neglect with tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Felstmiester

MB Enthusiast
Car
Range rover sport
Had a nightmare the past year with rubber on the c63. First one was a blow out while traveling up to the MLS day a while back witch disintegrated a large portion of the inside wall. Then a couple of weeks after that the other rear developed a bump in the middle of the tread. This wasn't so bad because I was still running the odd make rear I replaced on Msl day so just went and brought a set of conti's. Now today I've had a front tyre literally go pop. It's somehow blown a chunk of bead out on inner wall.

I don't use the car much. Prob a blast one day a month. Sometimes a little more and sometimes less. Every time I take her out I check tyre pressures due to fact it's been sitting and normally put 38psi in.

Dread to think what would of happened if I was travelling at speed when the front tyre went pop. Luckily I was plodding as I had the mrs n kids with me.

Hope this is just a bad year for me and tyres??

38PSI is low? Mine are 19 stock alloys and are 45 front and 49 rears

I guess it depends on the wheel size then. Although it does seem you're going for the highest of the recommended pressures.

My 16 inch wheels are 32 in the rear and 29 in the front. They're the lower of the pressures recommended, as I don't often have a full car or do over 130.

Obviously I'm in the wrong forum here, I was just asking the obvious question, brand and age.

Seems excessive to me, but the C63 does have (rear) tyre shredding potential. - I haven't seen a car tyre blow-out since the late '90s, and even that was on a gravel road.

Are they fairly soft compound? I found that my Nissan can take a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 (symmetrical) down to slicks in about a year, so I now run Hankook evo tyres and they last much better.

Any chance the rubber has been exposed to something that is aging/damaging it? - Perhaps something innocuous?

One tyre seems like bad luck, but three suggests a pattern.

Tyres very rarely suffer any ill effects from over inflation other than excessive wear and ride harshness. Under inflation on the other hand can cause lots of hidden danger to tread and sidewall. Sounds as if you [ inadvertently ]or the past owner has been running with under inflated tyres. C63's do tend to stress their rears more. They run a higher than usual toe in [leads to uneven wear] to aid stability and of course they have all that torque to transmit!

The bulge can also happen if you have hit a pothole. You might also want to check the wheels for signs of buckling.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Either bad luck, or is there something on your driveway or perhaps in your garage which could be catching the tyres on the inner wall where you can't see it? Or do you put the car on a ramp for storage, and could be catching the tyres getting on/off?

Sorry. For the record it's running 19's. Should of said.
There's nothing on my drive that could be the cause. I never bump down or up Kurds not that you can with 30/35 profile tyres. I'm even careful when straddling the centre speed bumps. It seems I have just been unlucky.

The rear tyres have not long been put on witch are continentals. But now I'm going to have to change both fronts I'm a good mind to just buy a whole set and bite the bullet on cost. Better to be a little out of pocket now that to end up in the hedge due to another tyre failing.

Where are you guys getting your tyres from and what brand are you finding best? Not forgetting mine is not a daily drive so not so bothered so much about a long lasting tyre.

Sorry. For the record it's running 19's. Should of said.
There's nothing on my drive that could be the cause. I never bump down or up Kurds not that you can with 30/35 profile tyres. I'm even careful when straddling the centre speed bumps. It seems I have just been unlucky.

The rear tyres have not long been put on witch are continentals. But now I'm going to have to change both fronts I'm a good mind to just buy a whole set and bite the bullet on cost. Better to be a little out of pocket now that to end up in the hedge due to another tyre failing.

Where are you guys getting your tyres from and what brand are you finding best? Not forgetting mine is not a daily drive so not so bothered so much about a long lasting tyre.

Kurdish people will be grateful I'm sure.

100 notes off a set of four..

unfortunate buddy but such is life. went through 6 tyres in 11k miles for my first year, drive reasonably and little burnouts or donuts.. opted for wider ones this time and wear seems to be even and less on the inner sidewalls.

38PSI is low? Mine are 19 stock alloys and are 45 front and 49 rears

That seems insanely high, when they're warm you'll be over the inflation limit of the tyres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom