Bank customers to sign in with 'finger vein' technology

Would you trust banks with your personal biometric data, or not?

• Yes

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • No

Votes: 23 65.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Banks and trust. Ha, ha. That's the best laugh I'm bound to have today! ;):D

It's stored in Binary format so not really biometric data, unless you are willing to remove your finger and leave it with them...

In the interests of poll neutrality, I shall not add any further posts to this thread, but I think it will be interesting to see what people think of this, so be free with your comments.

If it helps me access my account easily and securely then yea, why not.

I must admit I haven't read the linked article but I did see this on the news this morning. I think I'd want a bit more information before signing up to it myself but I'm far from against the idea.

I don't trust any large organisation with any of my data, I've seen what goes off!

Now where's my tin-foil hat?

No. Any record will be held on a computerised database which means other parties can apply for access via Data Protection Application.

Surely, DPA is designed to protect your data, not release it.

You'd think so but many 'agencies' have access to all sorts of data, on written application, and this would be no different………..the security agencies would be slobbering over getting access to this info if it became widely used.

If the criminal fraternity need your finger to access your account and they are determined to do so.. how safe is your finger?

Cars are so secure that thieves are willing to break into your house to get the keys. The thought that they might break in to cut off your finger doesn't appeal to me much.

If the criminal fraternity need your finger to access your account and they are determined to do so.. how safe is your finger?

Cars are so secure that thieves are willing to break into your house to get the keys. The thought that they might break in to cut off your finger doesn't appeal to me much.

How about retina recognition.

Suddenly fingerprint sounds OK no?

Probably safer than it is now? According to the link...

Vein recognition is thought to be a more secure technology than checking finger prints, partly because of the requirement for the finger to be "live".
That should also eliminate the grim possibility of a criminal hacking off someone's finger in an attempt to use it to remove funds from an account.
Light transmitted through the finger is partially absorbed by haemoglobin passing through the veins, enabling the unit to authenticate the user's vein pattern.
In theory nothing to stop a thief breaking in and threatening/torturing you or your family for the passwords/pin numbers we all currently rely on

My son used to work for a well known car maker.

At one point, fingerprint recognition on starter buttons was discussed quite seriously.

Someone then pointed out how much negative publicity would be generated the first time a finger was cut off to facilitate a theft!

Lock up known car thieves for the rest of their lives.

Apart from new ones, you pretty much resolve the issue overnight.

Make the car thieves drive an All-aggro for the rest of their lives ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom