battery connected wrong

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dax121

Car
clk
hi guys
not sure if this is in the right section but the battery on my 98 clk was connected to the wrong terminals. no lights on dash now etc so im wondering what damage was likely done. im hopeing i just blew the relay in the booth but want to know what to check when i go at it

I would check ALL fusebox fuses first, you might be lucky, otherwise, you may have caused major damage to any ecu's.....just hope its only a fuse issue.

Remember to check the fuses in the ECU box, which is on the opposite side of the engine bay to the main fuse box, but can,t help but think you have caused some major component damage.

IF its fine and everything works then dont worry.

all fuses are ok but i dont know about relays have no way to check. would the relay in the booth not have blown? i would imagine that would blow before ecu or should i say hope it would blow :doh:

Is there a relay with a fuse above (it might have a cover over it) alongside or close to the battery?, this is the ovp relay, check the fuse and the relay.

ahh sorry i read that as there are no warning lamps on the dash...

Some models have a battery protection relay and/or massive fuse... Easy to spot.

yes it does have a relay in the booth. i went to a auto factors butt they dont have one. ill try get to main dealers and buy one. hopefully it does the job :dk:

You could buy relays all day long and get nowhere ,check battery protection fuse first,if ok
you will have to fault find with meter and good circuit diagram,assuming you have electrical
experience,failing that contact an auto electrician.How did the battery end up reversed?

Have you checked the fuses in the ECU box under the bonnet, not the fuse box.

ive checked all fuses they are fine. and the relay that i taught would be for the battery seems to be for the fuel pump. part number A0025421319 V23134-B52-X336.

How or why was the battery connected in reverse,and whilst it was connected at what point did you realise and connect correctly,

The amount of damage could depend on how long it was incorrectly connected.

Are any systems working i.e lights, starter, accessories etc.

it was late at nite when i went to move the car. its not being used so i take out the battery. i picked up the jeep battery i had their and put that into it. not looking at what i was doing when it was dark and connected it wrong. it gave out a loud spark so i disconnected it straight away. but when got the right batt their is no lights or even the steering lock wont turn off

Well at least you didn't try and start it! :eek:

That could well have fecked the Alternator! :doh:

A quick blast with a reverse polarity should only have activated a safety device. :rolleyes:

Cheapest option would be to call the AA/RAC etc if ya in them and have Home Start.

Tell em you're a **** when he gets there, make him a brew and you should get it fixed or at least a free diagnosis. :thumb:

id say it blew something because when i put in the right battery their was no power reaching the dash or ecu. so cant connect it to a laptop to see whet the fault is :wallbash:

A quick blast with a reverse polarity should only have activated a safety device. :rolleyes:

:

In the old 'non-electronic dependent' days, you would have got away with a reverse battery connection but in this case, there is potential for major damage to have been caused. Hope i'm wrong though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom