Battery Life

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l5foye

Car
ML 300CDI
After having starting problems with the Mitsubishi, I had to replace the 2 batteries. To my amazement the batteries were 10 years and 10 months old.
Given the hard life they had ( starter & alternator problems, batteries draining, then being overcharged etc) it is all the more astonishing. They were Deta made in Germany. It appears the company went bust some years ago after taking over Exide. I am at a loss to know what batteries would last as long.

That's pretty good. The battery in my SL is 12 years old now ... had some abuse to start with (being flattened a few times etc.) but has been on a maintenance charger for the last 10 years, which obviously helps! That's an M-B one. It's generally being left standing while discharged that does the damage.

My 2006 car still has the original MB (Varta) battery. Complete with the little green mark on the battery connector bolt to show that it was never disconnected or remove. :cool:

Other way round I think now part of EXIDE TECHNOLOGIES. Often brand names are retained in certain countries- in this case Austria??
Car Batteries

Have to say they look a lot like Vartas!

I've twice had 12 years out of Varta batteries. One in my 190e and one in my BMW motorcycle

Given you can't change the climate there is only one secret to long battery life and that is keep them 100% fully charged at all times.

That's very easy on my bike because it finishes a ride at full charge and has zero current draw when parked up and being an AGM almost zero self discharge. A modern MB is more challenging because it's impossible it will finish a journey at 100% charge because of the silly 15 amps of courtesy lighting that you can't turn off and the going to sleep current draw that will start up again every time I open a door. The bottom line is if I put them on the charger once per week the bike battery will indicate full charge within a minute where as the car typically takes an hour or two.

I got nearly 15 years (and >175k miles) from the OE battery in my E46, June 2001 to March 2016.

Labelled as BMW, but I think it was actually a Varta.

I only got two years out of a Varta battery in the Nissan; about the same from an Exide.

It's clearly got a lot to do with the car it's in because our Hyundai still had the original battery after 10 years.

I only got two years out of a Varta battery in the Nissan; about the same from an Exide....

Isn't two years still within the warranty period?

Isn't two years still within the warranty period?
In theory, but they couldn't be convinced it was a fault in the battery. - You need to take it to an approved auto-electrician and have it tested to prove that it has failed.

It's cheaper to just buy a new battery.

The battery lasted 10 years in my CLK, it's been in my Ponton for 2 years and still OK.

There are a couple of things that kill batteries 1. extremes of temperature ---- Cold to the extent of freezing [ in Russian winters they learn to switch on their headlights for a few minutes to let the current heat up the electrolyte before running high starting current through the battery by starting the car] or extreme heat in a "cosy" engine compartment.
2 excessive discharge or over charging ----caused by too small a battery for thenormal vehicile demands or a faulty alternator regulator which would be my prime candidate.

....extreme heat in a "cosy" engine compartment....

Interesting, my Vauxhall Omega had its battery wrapped in a thermal insulation jacket, precisely for this reason. Sounds like a good idea, though I have not seen this is any other car.

On my C180K, the battery is located at the opposite side of the engine bay to the exhaust manifold, though difficult to know if this was intentional.

I've known LGV drivers to pull in to a service area for their 45 minute tacho break, only to find their batteries have died. Always happens in cold weather.

Car batteries are less prone to this because the current required to start a car engine is much lower than that required to start a commercial diesel engine, but they are still prone to cold weather issues. My old Jeep used to struggle to start in winter because of a cold battery, while it would start without issue during the warmer months.

Interesting, my Vauxhall Omega had its battery wrapped in a thermal insulation jacket, precisely for this reason. Sounds like a good idea, though I have not seen this is any other car.

On my C180K, the battery is located at the opposite side of the engine bay to the exhaust manifold, though difficult to know if this was intentional.

My wife's '96 Polo had a thermal jacket as standard and the original battery lasted 12. years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom