battery tray corrosion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barhardy

Car
ML270CDI
I have an ML270CDI 2004 model with full mb service history.
I have discovered some corrosion on the battery tray.
Both the dealer and mercedes benz will not replace the battery tray because in their view this corrosion will not spread or be detrimental to the safety or value of the vehicle.
Can anyone offer any advice on how too convince them they should repair this corrosion

Attachments

• P2270421.JPG
    P2270421.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 46
Sorry, can't help with the warranty bit.

Obviously it's your car and your grief/happiness/time if you want to get into a warranty argument and honestly I wish you good luck. I personally, don't think it's worth the hassle.

Over my motoring career, I have had this happen 2 tomes, the 'fix' from experienced electiricians has been the same.

Remove or prop the battery up - pour boiling water over the acid affected area - I can assure you that it works. Can only assume some type of neutralizing 'physics'!!!

You could always paint the area afterwards but I have never done that, the boiling water sorted the problem.

Scott

Sorry, can't help with the warranty bit.

Obviously it's your car and your grief/happiness/time if you want to get into a warranty argument and honestly I wish you good luck. I personally, don't think it's worth the hassle.

Over my motoring career, I have had this happen 2 tomes, the 'fix' from experienced electiricians has been the same.

Remove or prop the battery up - pour boiling water over the acid affected area - I can assure you that it works. Can only assume some type of neutralizing 'physics'!!!

You could always paint the area afterwards but I have never done that, the boiling water sorted the problem.

Scott

DON'T repeat DON'T do this . What you are doing is redissolving battery acid residues in the hot water and letting them flow to other parts of the vehicle where they may cause further corrosion damage.

Remove the battery-- check it for leaks /overflow and clean up the casing. Protect your eyes and hands from battery acid while doing this and these further ops. With the battery out remove the old battery tray. Now its out of the car you can pour as much water over it as you like to wash away acid residues. If its badly corroded then renew it. If its structurally OK then after cleaning give it a good coat of Hammerite or similar protective coating and replace it and the cleaned up battery. Check the battery very carefully for leaks-modern batteries don,t leak normally unless they are overfilled or there's a problem with the alternator. If its not a maintenance free one ( doesn't need topping up) consider changing it for one. Any good local garage should be able to do this for you if you don't feel up to it-the 100Ah battery is quite heavy. Protect the car body(wing) while doing this to prevent any acid from harming the paintwork. Remember to use some form of 12v backup to retain your car settings while you disconnect the main battery.

If you can convince your garage that the corrosion was their fault for overfilling the battery you might have a case particularly if the corrosion has spread to the body below the tray. May be difficult with an off road vehicle to convince them of this? GOOD LUCK.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom