BBC article about fast estates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gmk666

Car
E350CDI Sport Estate
BBC News - 'School run supercars'

Not the article I was expecting at all when I saw the headline.

I thought it was going to be a load of Prius-driving Mumsnetters imploring us to 'Think about the children'. But no, it seems there's this new phenomenon of luxury executive cars that are quite nippy. Good to see the BBC maintaining their accurate reporting of the important current events then.

Another good example of sh*te journalism. i think they will find the Lamborghini has an Audi Engine and not the Audi has a Lamborghini engine as stated, T*ssers :mad:

"HALO" cars---- should that not read "HELLO" [ as in magazine] cars.

Owner profile :-Mr Wotke director of ASAP CRM,a customer relationship management consultancy WTF?? drives an Audi RS6 and lives in a village near Great Missenden in Buckinghamshire. Says it all really. ;)

Last edited:
Don't forget that the £90,000 RS6 is worth less than half that (if he's lucky) and the RS2 came out in 1994, not 'around the turn of the century'.

Am I the only one on this forum who reads "at the turn of the century" and still thinks 1900s :eek::doh:

The article wasn't too bad apart from the RS6 owners comment about its acceleration, don't get me wrong I like an RS6 it's a beast of a car but in no way does it accelerate like a motorbike, a modern 1000cc will utterly humiliate an RS6 providing its ridden properly anyway.

Am I the only one on this forum who reads "at the turn of the century" and still thinks 1900s :eek::doh:

No. But then I also think it's a typo when I see the dates of birth of F1 drivers and footballers.

I have to say a decent car like an E/C63 BMW M or Audi S or RS tickles my fancy much more than a supercar.

You get the performance of a super car practically without bad visibility, bad build quality and horrific unreliablity and all the benefits of a car makers budget spending for mass production so in theory you end up with a better car.

horrific unreliablity

Ask an RS4 owner how many times his DRC suspension has failed and when you finally get a word in edgeways, ask him about the cylinder heads coking up. I've had an RS4 and an RS6, and while they're both absolute hoots to drive, neither is without its problems. (Saying that, I would have another.)

;)

My favourite fast estate:

375250-AudiRS4B5Avus.jpg

One of those outside the office here. Nobody bats an eyelid at it next to all the supercars and Range Rovers. But it is in great condition and catches my eye every day, mainly because it hasn't moved in 3 weeks!!!

Hardly anyone ever gives my C63 estate a second look (how I like it), it happily drives to the shops or South of France or the local tip or beats Scoobies/Caterhams at Goodwood without any complaint.

I wouldn't swap it for something like a SL/911/F360/R8.

It's a bit thirsty though.

S

Last edited:
Hardly anyone ever gives my C63 estate a second look (how I like it), it happily drives to the shops or South of France or the local tip or beats Scoobies/Caterhams at Goodwood without any complaint.

Whilst a few years ago, that was a big part of the rationale behind buying my C32 AMG. It's so easy to blend in, but still does everything I want it to like a relaxed crawl in traffic, long distance cruising, and a little bit of point and squirt when road conditions allow, or there's a quick car to bait. :devil:

The W/S202/3 AMGs were great at blending in. The W/S204 C63 AMG is still relatively subtle, but probably draws more attention because it's more aggressively styled, and the noise is a bit more noticeable too!! :thumb:

Based upon the cars you park next to it's probably less of an issue in your company car park, than mine though!! :D

Hey, that is not the company carpark, that is the street!!! Kensington, another world, one in which I definitely do not live...

Another good example of sh*te journalism. i think they will find the Lamborghini has an Audi Engine and not the Audi has a Lamborghini engine as stated, T*ssers :mad:

I bet this is what customers are told at the dealers though. Never let marketing BS stand in the way of facts.

With component sharing so common place I'm sure some parts on Lamborghini are also found on Skodas. I'm sure Skoda owners are proud of that, Lambo owners less so.

Pushing the latest 560hp M5 model at top speed through a series of long and at times rather tight bends on the track, McLaren

Mmmm top speed around tight bends = armco in my language.

By Jorn Madslien
Business reporter, BBC News

Stick to talking about stocks and shares Jorn.

Whilst a few years ago, that was a big part of the rationale behind buying my C32 AMG. It's so easy to blend in, but still does everything I want it to like a relaxed crawl in traffic, long distance cruising, and a little bit of point and squirt when road conditions allow, or there's a quick car to bait. :devil:

The W/S202/3 AMGs were great at blending in. The W/S204 C63 AMG is still relatively subtle, but probably draws more attention because it's more aggressively styled, and the noise is a bit more noticeable too!! :thumb:

Based upon the cars you park next to it's probably less of an issue in your company car park, than mine though!! :D

Always a good idea [ given time] to count the number and bore of the exhausts of any car passing you suspect of being a "sleeper" :cool: ------ unfeasibly large bore chav-mobiles excepted of course.:p

I used to work with Alex many years ago, I have to say the article really did not do him many favours but I can tell you he really is just an everyday bloke who just happens to like fast cars.

Always a good idea [ given time] to count the number and bore of the exhausts of any car passing you suspect of being a "sleeper" :cool: ------ unfeasibly large bore chav-mobiles excepted of course.:p

I've got a load of empty baked bean cans. I think I'll go and gaffer tape a load of them to my rear skirt.

Eight should do.

grober said:

You have to look closely. The fashion is big looking exit pipes or tips but in reality a peashooter lurks. Mercedes have taken up this trend with the new 4pots with twin exits. Really a sole peashooter lurks beneath

You have to look closely. The fashion is big looking exit pipes or tips but in reality a peashooter lurks. Mercedes have taken up this trend with the new 4pots with twin exits. Really a sole peashooter lurks beneath

Kind of the same with the E350 CDI. Behind those big outlets are just the standard ovals (just cut off a bit early).

My old Mondeo TDCi used to have twin fat stainless pipes; but behind them, just the usual downward pointing standard pipes.

Don't forget that the £90,000 RS6 is worth less than half that (if he's lucky) and the RS2 came out in 1994, not 'around the turn of the century'.

Yes, this inaccuracy went through my mind.

The N reg Audi RS2 I used to see and test with my M3 Evo, at the turn of the century, must have been in my imagination.

The stealth thing is amusing. I know of a couple of people with Aston Martin DB9s and some other stuff who could not believe my plain Merc had 100NM more torque and was slightly quicker at accelerating - I guess because it does not sport a Ferrari / Lamborghini / Porsche badge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom