BBC to Ditch F1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's a shame but tbh their broardcasting of F1 was quite a lame effort. For the die hard F1 fans SkyF1 is a must. BBC TV + Radio coverage of a handful of races & an hours highlights after the race was not enough for me. That said I'm guessing that's enough for some people that aren't interested in all the in's & outs.

ITV will be no better. It was bad viewing the last time they had it and badly timed ad breaks spoilt many races. Although SkyF1 has adverts they NEVER interfere with the coverage.

I'm guessing a few people will be upset, but not sure if those people will be bothered enough to pay for Sky just for F1. Depends how much they like F1 I guess.

I'm an F1 anorak. Can't get enough of it.

Ant.

I thought the BBC missed the opportunity to go back to the Grandstand days and just shoe horn the race on, with 5mins build up when Sky came in.

That way, in my view, you had the full on race fan TV, which has to be paid for, and the general viewer who will watch the race, not always needing it live and needs none of the build up.

on the odd occasion I watched the BBC (post sky) i felt they were doing a cheap version and it was lame. Prior to Sky, they did a brilliant job.

ITV need to ditch the current BBC format and go for race alone with no build up. Keep DC for the commentary and lose the rest. (Perhaps keep Lee for the interviews and show them afterwards, if needed). And they all need to lose Eddie.

In fairness, if the BBC is losing it, I would have preferred if CH4 had given it a crack and see how they would manage. ITV, again in my view, is toilet television.

Still, this gives us a good reason to kick Bernie too. He still has no idea how to get F1 onto other viewing platforms so that we have choice. And if he did that, maybe he could lower the price so as the BBC could have kept it.

But hey ho. I like Sky coverage. More so since they removed a bit of the lady presence during the talky bits.

Uninterrupted and ad free is best...

Agree with you there SB but unsure of what the last paragraph means:dk:

With the money they aren't spending on F1, they could cover many other race series and still have money in hand plus most other racing is infinitely more exciting. JMO.

With the money they aren't spending on F1, they could cover many other race series and still have money in hand plus most other racing is infinitely more exciting. JMO.

That's certainly true. If a UK broadcaster started showing V8 Supercars I think viewing figures would be good

Of course, they may be doing so already - I wouldn't know as I don't own a TV

I dislike current F1 and the media coverage. You seem to get more coverage of a driver throwing a cap than of the race. This is because the races are boring, which is because races are tyre-limited

The big manufacturers have got what they wanted but, unfortunately, it's created boring races, unreliable, over-complicated cars and spiralling budgets. In that sense, despite the rule changes, F1 hasn't changed at all

Nick Froome

Last edited:
Agree with you there SB but unsure of what the last paragraph means:dk:

Ok. I guess there are some ladies, such as Lee on the Beeb who appear to be interested in the question, the answer and are knowledgeable about the sport which means those of us properly interested, get a decent question, decent follow up question and some reasonable comment or viewpoint thereafter.

So why do they use Suzi Perry as the anchor?

Sky have reduced the lady presence so that now, when they do appear, the act in the right manner and cannot be accused of being window dressing.

My issue is the ones that are there to appeal to the less than interested F1 fan, means they are not targeting the coverage at the right audience.

Some are interesting to hear. Keep them
Some are interesting to look at. Move them on thanks. We are watching for the cars etc....

just my view.

With the money they aren't spending on F1, they could cover many other race series and still have money in hand
One can hope.

But experience suggests that one's hopes are likely to be dashed... :(

Ok. I guess there are some ladies, such as Lee on the Beeb who appear to be interested in the question, the answer and are knowledgeable about the sport which means those of us properly interested, get a decent question, decent follow up question and some reasonable comment or viewpoint thereafter.

Lee Mckenzie is an under-utilised asset on BBC F1. I hope she gets the chance she deserves

I think the commentary team is OK, though I miss Brundle's occasional tart comment (he drove straight to the scene of the accident, etc). I used to find EJ a real annoyance, but now think he's a useful wildcard as he often disagrees with Coulthard, and is unusually well-informed about goings-on in the paddock

Has anyone noticed that it now appears obligatory to have a Scotsman in a motorsport commentary team? Coulthard, McNish and di Resta spring to mind

Nick Froome

I'm certainly not paying for Sky, if it's not on a channel covered by Freeview I shall no longer be watching. Well done Bernie, you've managed to price it beyond reach.

I wish some of the team's would ditch F1 and let's get back to some proper engines and cars. Not watched a race for two years it's utter sh*te

I wish some of the team's would ditch F1 and let's get back to some proper engines and cars. Not watched a race for two years it's utter sh*te

Hahaha. Disagree with your post but you REALLY made me laugh. Top man. ;)

Ant.

I live in 2015 and I drive a plug in hybrid performance car. But racetracks are no place for electric motors they belong in washing machines. That's why formula e failed. You need to hear the engines over the sound of the tyres or it doesn't work.
BTCC and DTM have been far better than F1 for the last couple of years

Wowzers Scum!!! What year do you live in??? :doh:

yes yes.....I think I was trying politely to say that most of the females currently employed with F1 coverage are not really bringing anything to the party with a very limited number of exceptions.

I am aware however some persons only tune in for the ones who might be easy on the eye.

I am old enough to want my F1 unadulterated with window dressing and loudmouth fans. F1 is meant to be the pinnacle of motorsport (Despite Bernie doing everything to ruin it, and blame others even though he was directly involved in all the decisions) and I want the coverage and the fan base to be the best too.

Oh yeah, nearly forgot....I am busy digging oil out of the ground, stuff the enviroment. Wind power is not paying my mortgages.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom