Behr radiator, made in China

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

horatio

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK, 190E
I bought a Behr radiator from Euro's to replace the original Valeo and TBH it looks pretty naff quality. Cheap, shiny looking plastic tanks & hose connections on the sides.

Has anyone had problems with these? I'm half tempted to send it back and get a Nissens or something :(

(I know some stuff made in China is excellent these days...)

I've read about the Chinese made ones being very poor quality. In fact, I seem to remember seeing a YouTube vid about them.

Cheers I'll send it back.

Is it worth paying the extra for a genuine radiator or will a Nissens be ok?

It's getting hard to keep track of which brands are still decent quality.

It maybe that someone has done a dirty on them Eg returning a New cheap unit back.

It's definitely a legit part. It seems the "Behr Hella Service" branded parts are for the aftermarket and very different to the parts they make for the car makers :(

Hopefully the Nissens will be a lot better.

It's definitely a legit part. It seems the "Behr Hella Service" branded parts are for the aftermarket and very different to the parts they make for the car makers :(

Hopefully the Nissens will be a lot better.

Wrong, It will be a copy id imagine, difficult without seeing it, And yes Nissens are good quality Rads, Just to Add, My Behr Hella Oil cooler rad through my Suppliers Hella account come through from Germany and was Exactly the same as the Mercedes Behr Hella unit that had failed.

Last edited:
I got a genuine Nissens rad for my Alpina - it had sharp edges and very poor finish. Modern aftermarket radiators are cheap for a reason, and Hella/Behr are no different. If it was fake I doubt they'd go to the lengths of putting Made in China on it deliberately.

From MB a rad for your 190E would be about £300, for a CLK Cdi 220 (assuming it is that) about £200.

Thanks, it's a 270. I'm replacing it as a precaution as it still has it's original Valeo. I've ordered a Nissens but wishing I had bought a genuine now GRRR! :doh: :D

Thanks, it's a 270. I'm replacing it as a precaution as it still has it's original Valeo. I've ordered a Nissens but wishing I had bought a genuine now GRRR! :doh: :D

As far as i've read if its survived this long its likely ok

Or I'm riding my luck! This will cost me less than £100 so I don't see the point in risking it on such a nice, low mileage car.

I managed to get a Nissens next day via eBay. It has Denmark stamped on it and generally looks a lot better quality. The plastic looks a lot sturdier, especially around the hose outlets and the hose clips are much thicker. The plastic isn't that shiny stuff. Hopefully all will be ok.

A rad, hose and coolant change is such a good idea. Owning several old BMWs as I do, I've come to treat the radiators as service items - cheaper a rad than a head gasket!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom