Beloved CLK63 Convertible, need advice re Engine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T99NYW

Car
CLK63 AMG Cabrio
Hi Chaps,

I'm hoping one of you can point me in the right direction regarding a trustworthy option for an engine repair / rebuilt and refit on the 6.3 V8 unit. The beast has ran perfectly since I purchased a few years ago. Have clocked up 96k (around half done by myself), but this weekend an engine management light came on, followed by the car entering limp home mode. Called out Mercedes Assist, diagnostics showed a chain of events Re misfire, fuel pressure fault, injector fault on cylinder 4 then what appears to be the terminal blow of engine hydraulics. Car wouldn't turn over on attempted restart. It's now at Sytners MB and they are advising lottery numbers to try and solve, even suggesting the repair bill would exceed the value of the car.

I love my CLK63 AMG, can anyone help with advice on a UK company other than MB that would be able to strip, repair and refit an engine of this type, for a 'semi' reasonable fee?

Help / advice of course appreciated.

Tony

Last edited:
Might be worth speaking to forum member 'Zenman' as I believe he is in the process of rebuilding a '63 engine which suffered exactly the same problem (hydraulically locked due to injector fault)

From what I understand of his posts the engine wasn't badly damaged at all - one bent rod (?)

Best of luck getting it fixed :)

Last edited:
This is Zenman's thread on the rebuild:

https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/amg-lounge/221764-m156-rebuild-after-bent-conrod.html

The normal goto recommendations for this type of job are Wayne Gates in Harrow and PCS in Horndean (nr Portsmouth). I guess as you mention a Syntner dealer, these are too far south for you.

Hopefully, others may be able to recommend someone farther north, it may help if you could post up your location.

PS Will, did you omit a 'not' with regard to Zenman's 'badly damaged engine'?

Last edited:
Thanks Guys, very helpful. MB have removed the small sump cover to reveal some metal swarf which doesn't sound good. However, I've just spoken to a Daniel at GermanCarTech in Southend who is quoting circa £7k on a full rebuild. He sounded very clued up and the company has a lot of positive feedback from other customers, though clearly that could be smoke and mirrors to entice the business through the door. He can only offer a 6 Month warranty on the rebuild which to a mechanical ludite like myself sounds low given the normal bulletproof nature of these units, but he did say the warranty is unlimited miles during that time, and if i'm only doing low mileage (which I am) he was happy to put something in writing covering me for longer.
They also build in a 2 monthly FOC check to confirm everything is ok, post running in.

Anyone had any dealings with them, can recommend, or warn me off?

Will also get numbers for the others mentioned above, location isn't an issue really as long as it's within low loader reach. Of greater concern is finding someone trustworthy to do the job right at a fair price.

Many thanks

Tony

Try Olly at PCS.

Thanks Grovsie31 I have tried him earlier but line engaged. Spoke with Terry at Wayne Gates earlier, he was very helpful and prepared to offer a two year warranty on his work which I find more reassuring, especially given all the good feedback from others on here. I'll give Ollie another go, though I suspect they'll be similar re price and warranty, so it'll just come down to who can sort the earliest.

I'm sure I know people who've had engine rebuilds for less than £7k, but maybe only half as many cylinders.

Perhaps it's the cost of replacement internals that's driving the price up; could you source you own pistons (e.g. Mahle or CP) etc?

Saw your car at PCS, they will sort it for you. Failing that I'll swap my clk350 convertible for yours.

Hi T99NYW,
I had my W124 M104 engine completely rebuilt using OE Mercedes parts by Andersons Racing Engines near to Bath. The bill for the rebuild was £7,000 with the removal and installation being extra by another garage.
A word of advice. Make sure that whoever removes then later installs your engine is familiar with your particular vehicle.
If you want to know Anderson's procedures re refurbishing your engine, go to their website or phone Frank the owner on 01761472524 or e.mail them at [email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom