Bent suspension?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ecossebev

Car
Mercedes Benz 230 TE
At the start of the year, somebody in a Mondeo tried to write my car off by driving into the side of it. Car wasn't written off and I got a satisfactory settlement from the insurance company, however........I had a sideways moment outside my work on Monday in the snow at slow speed (10-15MPH) and the rear end of my '91 230TE hit the kerb side on.
After work I checked the wheel and it looked bad, but I chanced it to get me 6 miles home. After a mile or so, the wobble from the steering was so bad, I was forced to change the wheel. The wobble improved a bit, but still not perfect. What I can't uderstand is how the steering is affected when the front end never made contact in the accident. Could I have buckled the stub axle or something which has effected the steering? Waiting for the garage to arrange a booking to inspect the car. Stranger still, the exhaust (which wasn't in the best of condition it has to be said) is now blowing.
Expecting the worst after the inspection. Appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thanks,
Sean

From http://www.mercedes-benz-club.co.uk . James will probaly have the parts you need at a reasonable price.

"A friend of mine is breaking the following car : it is an E200T on an 'M' plate , the car is a seven seater with grey cloth interior and burr walnut wood , including the roller top 'cubby hole' between the front seats . The main seats are in good condition , but the rear-facing ones in the back were soaked and now have a lot of mould growing - don't know if this would clean up or not .

The bodywork is undamaged and in fair condition , except the front wings which are rotten in the usual places .

The radiator and power steering pump have already been removed - the previous owner also wants the headlamps back .

I'm having the heater controls , duovalve and some switches , plus some bits of the sunroof mechanism out of it for my W126 ; I think Neil RR has shown interest in some other parts .

The rest of the car is available for breaking . The car is located in North Ayrshire . Smaller items can be posted .

The car was running fine until it was scavenged for spares to keep two other 124 estates owned by the same family going .

If anyone is interested in anything , telephone James Rehill on the following numbers -

07899 851089
01294 464 263 evenings"

take the wheel off and have a look at the rear suspension links - my guess is that one or more of those will have absorbed a lot of the impact.

take the wheel off and have a look at the rear suspension links - my guess is that one or more of those will have absorbed a lot of the impact.

Indeed... And it might be worth checking where each rear wheel sits laterally with respect to the wheelarch. A good smack might have bent more than the suspension links if the wheel took the impact

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom