Best deep cleanining product for PVC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks

I am again after some top hints on which is the best DEEP cleaning product for coated leather seats. These are 124 Mushroom leather but I know that the leather is coated in a PVC type stuff. It is that coating that I need to get clean as the leather underneath is fine.

I also would like to clean the other bits creme coloured plastic:

Center Console
Underside of Dash
Door Trims etc

This is really ingrained dirt on a 27 year old car so it needs to be something that will get right in there and not something that I need to attack with brillo pads to get it working, as I do not wish to damage the leather underneath.

Any real life experience preferred please?

Seriously Bruce,deep cleaning PVC. Is there something else you want to tell us here ? You're amongst friends so be candid.
I've used cif in tha past. Let it soak in for a couple of hours brush it and then wipe off with cloth doused in warm water.

I have some HG leather cleaner in the cupboard, the guy in the hardware shop was very enthusiastic about it.
Can't give you a review as I honestly cannot remember if I've used it or not.
It's more of a solution than a cream, I believe that you would need to treat with cream after using this product.

Bruce - after reading a number of your recent post's I am reviewing the need for a W124 meeting....... ;-)

Steam cleaner and APC worked wonders on my shed Volvo.

Thank you all. So I know leather cleaner does nothing. I invested in Gliptone, not thinking that the leather is of course treated with a protective coating. It is that coat that needs cleaning. Doodle. I have recently purchased a small hand held steam cleaner so this could be a plan. Thank you. I will try some CIF cream with a sponge and warm water first. I will use the steamer on the more soiled areas including carpets. Mike. A meet would be good, but I may insist on the wearing of forensic suits for anybody that wants into my 124.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Last edited:
I would seriously avoid steam cleaning, one mistake and the surface is damaged.

For carpets and plastics I would highly recommend Autoglym interior cleaner, it really lifts out dirt without detergents.

Try the Gliptone first on the leather. If the surface is poor it will at least not harm the leather beneath. If that doesn't work, a very mild solution of the Autoglym.

We clean pvc seat coverings on boats with a dilute solution of TFR.

Brings them up a treat.

I would seriously avoid steam cleaning, one mistake and the surface is damaged.

You'll only cause damage if you wield it in a completely foolish manner. If you keep a little bit of separation from the nozzle, the surface temp will stay cooler than it would get from a good baking on a summer's day, but you still get the jet blast and warm vapour to lift the dirt.

I personally don't bother with cleaning old leather seats just get them professionally reconnelised (or however its spelt) I know a bloke in Sidcup who's cheap as chips if you want his number

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom