Best Drying Cloth/Chamois

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm using two waffle weave drying towels at the moment.

I brought a Kent one from amazon and my Mrs popped a Meguiars one in my christmas stocking.

I use the Kent one first rinsing it in clean water as i go (per panel) and then i go around the car with the Meguiars (Dry) one which works a treat.

Autoglym is the only one .
Halfords is the place to pick one up from .,They come in a see through box mine was a square box but they may have changed them now. Buy one , try it, if you dont like, then it i will give you your cash back after you post it to me [i need another ] i have 4 now another wont take any space up./. I do get extra ones because, i dont want to be without one anymore .

From your recommendation, I ordered one from Amazon. I agree it is better than anything else I have used.

The thing is, all of you that swear by a chamois, you haven't been able to buy real chamois leather for years, they are an endangered species, you are getting Sheep, Goat, or whatever, none of them come close to the original, which did have some sort of magic oil in them.

delderek thanks for your reply and glad you purchased one of these fine products . So I have converted one of you. Will any one else give them a try . Cash back after if you don't like them . My job was cleaning top end caravans . Along with the prestige cars like Alvis Jaguar I have owned in my life time. And if you want scratches then visit your local car wash ,or drive through , they make a nice job of fixing it for you.
This car I have [avatar] is 29 just gone and is 99% scratch free for one reason, it had a paint protector as an extra,, all those years ago.

I have to admit, upto now synthetic chamois for me has been the best product at lifting water off the car when it is extremely wet. It isn't as good when it comes to the final dry so I tend to switch to a microfibre cloth for the final drying steps.

amg now don't make the same mistake as me . I picked lot of these synthetic chamois up thinking they could be like the first few I had . I had the one that's had lots of small holes in they are nobg . The autoglym synthetic are made of lots and lots of very fine rubber hairs like a spiders web spun in to a sheet .When wet they stretch because of the rubber they are made from . Wow I think I should get a job selling these things .

Reactions: Amy
A deep pile microfibre towel will cover you for a long time. They are washable, safer than chamois leather in terms of catching dirt in its fibres. Elite car care is where i get mine from.

+1 from me. I have a few towels though, 2x waffle weave one Kent one Megs and 1 x of the above.

I find it's quicker to go around the car with one the go around again with a fresh one to buff abit if you like to get rid of the water marks plus it saves on standing there trying to wring one out all the time.

A deep pile microfibre towel will cover you for a long time. They are washable, safer than chamois leather in terms of catching dirt in its fibres. Elite car care is where i get mine from.

I had washed & dried my wife's car and my waffle weave towels were wet so I used one of my plush towels for drying my car (usually reserved for the final buff) and was impressed how well they lift the water (seem to be able to hold a lot more water) and being smaller are easier to handle.

I'm considering a DI filter as they are coming down in price and we do live in a hard water area.

I need to clay mitt my car as it is covered in water marks where the water does not blow odd while driving (I've been a bit lazy recently and use the coin operated jet rinse at the petrol station).

For me you cant beat Costco's yellow microfibre cloths, about £14 for 30. Oh and Ive been told to NEVER use a chamois leather to dry a car as any trapped dirt scratches your car. None of the expensive car detailers use them.

I use those too and they are good but Costco also sell dedicated drying towels, 2 in a pack about £9 I think. Much bigger than the Costco yellow cloths and better for drying. The basic Costco yellow cloths are great for removing polish/buffing.

delderek thanks for your reply and glad you purchased one of these fine products . So I have converted one of you. Will any one else give them a try . Cash back after if you don't like them . My job was cleaning top end caravans . Along with the prestige cars like Alvis Jaguar I have owned in my life time. And if you want scratches then visit your local car wash ,or drive through , they make a nice job of fixing it for you.
This car I have [avatar] is 29 just gone and is 99% scratch free for one reason, it had a paint protector as an extra,, all those years ago.
Totally agree the Autoglym synthetic leather (not real leather) cloth is great , absorbs water brilliantly, leaves no streaks and is pretty much indestructible. :)

Smart i have a a long story on these going back some 30 years or so .At that time they were called Minky glass cloth.I purchesd these for years , after i used the first one on my car paint work . I found it much better than any leather that i had used .. But after a few years the seller stopped selling them . On opening my last Minky packet i looking at the makers address they were made in Sweden . We sent a letter off to the maker .On return the maker in Sweden said i could purchase right from them .This was good at 1/2 the price of original ones i had from the seller in England . I sent for 24 of these .Most my friends had them till i was left with the last 4 . Then as years went by my minky was wearing very thin .Purchased all the synthetic leathers i saw ,. Even those Water Magnets [uesless] but found nothing like it. Then one day ,about 5 years ago i made a visit to Halfords .Looking around as you do with nothing in mind realy to purchase . I saw this see through container holding what looked like a Minky synthetic leather. It was then that i found the same type of cloth i had used for so long . I still have 4 of them all in use and 2 i have never opened yet. Till to-day i have found nothing that will match these .

+1 for costco yellow multipack, Ive never spotted the drying towels though.... will keep an eye out next time I'm there. I'll wait to drain the tank a bit and fill up with high octane while Im there too.... big costco fan here.... :D

There's a great big fluffy one in Halfords at the moment, made by Meguires which I can highly recommend. The bigger and fluffier, the better as you want to just lay it on the body panel and NOT drag it! This one absorbs so much water it soon weighs as much as a small dog. Unbelievable.

Chap I purchased my car off owns a well respected detailing business in centre of Edinburgh - I now use two microfibres, one to take off most of the water followed by a second sprayed with Nanolex Final Finish solution - takes five minutes and great finish every time :thumb:

Currently using auto finesse green drying microfibre towel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You get micro fibre if you think its best .Me,, i know what i will use .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom