Best Mercs Ever (very subjective)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mj2k

Car
2000 Subaru Legacy GT (remapped to 300bhp)
A thread about my W210 a couple of weeks back got me thinking about which Mercedes models I think were the best ever, and I've whittled it down to my top 5:

• W198 300SL - gorgeous looking car, well ahead of it's time with the spaceframe chassis, and gullwing doors too! What's not to like?
  • W113 Pagoda - Sporty, gorgeous, great handling, good in the winter too with the hardtop. Lovely.
  • A little more controversial - W210. IMO the W210 was the first 'modern' Merc, combining looks and performance with a 'value' price point. Also the 300TD was the fastest production diesel at the time, the 320CDi was one of the first common rail diesels, and the E55 was the first large-scale production AMG with truly insane performance
  • S123. The car which created the Mercedes 'tough as old boots' image. Not terribly fast but handsome and able to carry a huge load.
  • W201 Cosworth 2.3-16. The ultimate Merc 190. Not as fast as competitors, but once again tough and attractive, easily usable as everyday transport, and anyone who spots it is bound to say 'Wow, Cossie Merc!'

Which are your top 5 Mercs? Be as subjective as you like :)

1.W198 Gullwing. Sheer beauty and engineering excellence.
2.W100 Grosser. Kicks all other limos of its time into a cocked hat.
3.W300 Adenauer Convertible. Exudes class and understated good looks.
4.R230. I will have one of these some day.
5.W/S211. My current car of choice. Good looking and very affordable.

Add the W213 for me too. It's the newest but after 10 months or so of ownership boy it's a great car. Way more refined than any merc for years IMHO. Not taking away from anything listed above though.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

SSK for me. Saw one in the flesh at goodwood and just wow

My fav's

540 SSK roadster
300sl Gul wing
w116 450 sel 6.9
w124 e60
w126 560 sec widebody

Mmm, grosser, totally forgot that spectacular beast. Don't think I could even contemplate owning one but I preferred my Dinky Grosser to my Corniche when I was little. Think I've got a top 6 now :thumb:

I like the 2000s Merc's although some rust :D

E55 w211 estate/saloon
R230 sl55
W209 clk55/63

Well I can't comment on whether they're the best Mercedes models but they are ones that stand out as my favourites.

Firstly is the original gullwing SL. Mainly as I had a Micromachine one as a child which had the lift up doors and everything! :banana:

161313_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

In fact I still own it! haha

Micromachines_zpslhmep3d9.jpg

The next one for me is the Mercedes McLaren SLR. At a time when I had just bought my first new and fast car, a Clio 172 the SLR was on Top Gear and the new hyper car (alongside the Porsche Carrera GT) and I loved it. Like a real life Batmobile.

2003-mercedes-benz-slr-mclaren-9.jpg

And lastly the original CLS. Partly because I own one but also it seems sum up Mercedes in my mind. Great looking saloon car but has all the styling touches that make it undeniably Merc!

1_zpsqxez7ynt.jpg

For me one of them has to be the w219 cls

I know I own one but I've owned many a Mercedes and these are by far the best.

The reason I'd put it as an all one great though is due to the fact this car kick started Mercedes being cool, fashionable and a statement of quality again. They also opened up this whole new coupe saloon market which can only be seen as a good thing as we now have some fantastic looking cars on the road, all thanks to the original CLS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom