Best option for (free) 3rd party image hosting now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got my email from Photobucket this morning and it appears you can download whole albums to your PC with no fuss.
I downloaded my E55 album with 185 photos in under 30 seconds and it appears on your PC as a zip file. easily opened.

Here is the relevant part of the email regarding saving your photos.

Are my pictures still safe?

Yes! All your photos are still available by logging into your Photobucket Account. Photobucket has only restricted the ability to view your photos on 3rd party sites.

Can I download my Photos?

Absolutely, at any time. It is an easy four step process:

Step 1. Login to your Photobucket Account

Step 2. Navigate to your library page

Step 3. View a photo and click the download button

Step 4. The picture will be saved to your computer

I've made a start collating all the photo links on my W114 project thread. As the photoballsup link gives my file name I can assign the correct photo to each of my posts by post number. Then I need to host them somehow and re-do all the links in the thread (if possible). I refuse to be beaten by those blackmailers.

Last edited:
So ... current suggestions for PB replacements are:

• Imageshack
  • Imgbb
  • Imgur
  • Flickr
  • Google Photos
  • Postimage
  • TinyPic
Any more that people can recommend?

Just noticed that TinyPic is owned and operated by PhotoBucket!!

So ... current suggestions for PB replacements are:

• Imageshack
  • Imgbb
  • Imgur
  • Flickr
  • Google Photos
  • Postimage
  • TinyPic

Any more that people can recommend?

Tapatalk hosts images when you use their app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is an example:
d26eb852dadea0a53a6b7ce3c9dc0a11.jpg

I'm leaning towards postimage.org at the moment - seems to have a quick & clean user interface and also offers a range of resize options when uploading.

I'm leaning towards postimage.org at the moment - seems to have a quick & clean user interface and also offers a range of resize options when uploading.

...and you can make a 'clean' image post, i.e that does not take you into the hosting provider's website when clicked on.

I'm registered on PB with an obsolete email address, and I can't remember the password, so I don't think there's much I can do to retrieve or relocate whatever's there.

The may all charge eventually, that’s the way it’s going to go.
I don't actually have a problem with that so long as the charging level is reasonable, which Photobucket's isn't.

I don't actually have a problem with that so long as the charging level is reasonable, which Photobucket's isn't.

It’s not just about the cost, reliability is important too, postimages nearly went out of business last October, the appealed for donations and managed to recover.

Dec

The current proposal on Postimage.com is
Free registered accounts
  • Advertising enabled
  • Can choose between no expiration, 1, 7, and 31 days
  • Mandatory image optimization (currently no optimization performed)
  • Hotlinks to 1280px max resizes
  • Max 8Mb file size

I appreciate it could change, but I could live with that.

It’s not just about the cost, reliability is important too, postimages nearly went out of business last October, the appealed for donations and managed to recover.
Completely agree. But the reality is that Photobucket was going bust and could still do so due to their ludicrous charging model.

The problem with "free" is that someone, somewhere, really does have to pay for it. The old internet "free if you accept advertising" model just doesn't work anymore, and the sooner everyone accepts that an moves on, the better. That those who stick by the original model are so financially precarious only serves to underline that change has to come.

I suggested earlier in this thread that a micropayment "pay per view" sort of scheme could well provide adequate funding. It doesn't take much imagination to combine that with advertising too, with an option to pay an additional fee for an ad-free service if that's what you want. Add in a cost (and by definition, viewing) cap so that someone other than the image owner posting links to an image that goes viral can't bankrupt the account holder and the model could be quite robust.

^ I'd agree with this. I'd have no problem paying a reasonable amount for hosting, but Photobuckets demand, and the speed of it without prior warning was tantamount to ransom.
Fortunately migrating over 1k images in various albums wasn't difficult and mine are now all in Flickr albums, currently free with a 15GB limit. How long that remains is another thing. Photobucket is now history for me.

I only have (resized) pictures in Photobucket for forum posting purposes, so migration is pointless - the threads that reference them are all broken beyond repair as they can't be edited to change the links. I have all the originals on my computer (and backup), of course.

I'll leave my PB account for a while just in case they do back down, but otherwise I'll delete it and move on.

^ I'd agree with this. I'd have no problem paying a reasonable amount for hosting, but Photobuckets demand, and the speed of it without prior warning was tantamount to ransom.
Fortunately migrating over 1k images in various albums wasn't difficult and mine are now all in Flickr albums, currently free with a 15GB limit. How long that remains is another thing. Photobucket is now history for me.

I made an error on the amount of free storage with Flickr. It's 1Tb not 15Gb:doh:

Do you have an option during the upload to Imgur to resize the image, or do i have to resize beforehand (which is a pain).

BTW, as far as i can tell my PB hosting has not been affected yet - or is that because i`m looged in to my account and thus able to see my own pics?

Anyone see this image?

PPG%20cloud.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom