Best place to get updated Sat Nav Maps/Discs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkyMark

Car
R231 SL63 / Mclaren 720s / Exige GT3 / Westfield Megablade
Can anyone recommend a place to get updated Map software for the Sat Navs? Also advice on what I need to be looking for?

Thanks
Mark

Be VERY careful - a cheapo copy disc could land you with a useless box of electrics instead of a satnav. Start by looking at comandonline.co.uk to figure out EXACTLY which satnav you have fitted - is it Comand, if so which version? Is it Audio 50? Then read up on here about satnav updating.

Well you havent said what model of Comand you have.

www.comandonline.co.uk sell the map discs. You can save money by buying the previous version before the latest from ebay or ebay germany.

Not criticising comandonline's advice about copies but just something I've noticed. In an old thread they said they'd been experimenting with adding speed cameras by changing poi files which would suggest they were happy to run dvdrs until they became sellers of the real thing.

The only report I've seen of an actual problem with a copy was one that did cause big problems BUT putting an original disc back in everything was fine suggesting it was just the copy had gone bad, there is good and bad media as well as carefully burnt discs and poor ones. The dyes don't last forever either if they are constantly used but that can be fixed by burning another. No actual damage to the unit was reported.

I took the gamble of downloading and burning the latest version for my ntg1 to try. It works perfectly, performing the firmware upgrade when first inserting too as my original was so old, no delays while working out the route and instantly recalculates when I ignore the too direct routes, TomTom IQ routing it is not!

Not condoning using copies or trying to prove they don't cause problems, just my observations and experience. If you do want to use a copy though, don't pay for it!

Well you havent said what model of Comand you have.

www.comandonline.co.uk sell the map discs. You can save money by buying the previous version before the latest from ebay or ebay germany.

Speak to Richard. Highly recommended.

^ as above.

Cheers for the advice guys. Not sure what model I've got, I'll have a look in the manual and on the disc later on.

And thanks for the advice BigIan

Comandonline.
My older comand was actually a bit slower with a new disc in my 2001 C class. I wanted the latest map as it had the traffic alert stuff, and updated maps of central london. I now only really use the latest map if heading into the big smoke, else I use the 2004 map I have as it's a bit faster.

Not criticising comandonline's advice about copies but just something I've noticed. In an old thread they said they'd been experimenting with adding speed cameras by changing poi files which would suggest they were happy to run dvdrs until they became sellers of the real thing.

The only report I've seen of an actual problem with a copy was one that did cause big problems BUT putting an original disc back in everything was fine suggesting it was just the copy had gone bad, there is good and bad media as well as carefully burnt discs and poor ones. The dyes don't last forever either if they are constantly used but that can be fixed by burning another. No actual damage to the unit was reported.

I took the gamble of downloading and burning the latest version for my ntg1 to try. It works perfectly, performing the firmware upgrade when first inserting too as my original was so old, no delays while working out the route and instantly recalculates when I ignore the too direct routes, TomTom IQ routing it is not!

Not condoning using copies or trying to prove they don't cause problems, just my observations and experience. If you do want to use a copy though, don't pay for it!

I'm with you on this in that the discs from fleebay, if copies, generally are not on quality media and just "wear out" quickly so it can be a force economy :D

Once you know exactly what you're doing, and what disc you need, it's possible (but arguably not ethical) to buy genuine MB discs from eBay for considerably less than MB price - either the "retail" versions in the DVD-type larger cases or the variety issued to MB dealers (which are in square rather than rectangular cases) for use updating customers cars while in for servicing etc.

Note that if your C coupe is a 204 post facelift (MY2011 on) and has Comand (thus NTG4.5) MB have done some sort of trickery whereby the disc is coded to the car and has to be "activated". Earlier 204 Comands (like the NTG4 in my S204) the MB discs are reuseable.

I think the issues reported with pirated DVD was that the Laser beam works harder to read them causing the DVD drive to overheat, which is potentially more of an issue with dash mounted units than with boot mounted ones.

Said that I don't know for fact because my unit has HD, not DVD, for maps.

I think the main problem is the cost for new maps, TomTom will sell an update of Europe for £60, if this was the Comand cost then no one would even be talking about copies

I took the gamble of downloading and burning the latest version for my ntg1 to try.

Can I ask where you downloaded from? I have looked about but can't see anything. I'm also not totally sure which model mine is (looks like COMAND 2.0 - but has the DX logo in the bottom corner on boot up - (after MB logo)).

-Jim

If you see DX you need CDs not DVDs as you have the earlier Comand

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom