Best VFM detachable tow bar & 7 pin electrics for late 2012 C220

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Haven't a clue!

Car
W204 C220 CDI (AMG body kit), plus BMW 320ci (E93), previously various company lease
Hi, looking for suggestions from anyone with experience of above for a Nov 12 w204, it's a saloon (AMG Sport) variant. I live in east Midlands area and would look for it to be fitted, now out of warranty.
Appreciate the bodykit makes slightly more difficult but presume with a detatchable swan-neck then minimal cut to bumper?
Thanks for info provided,
Tony

Hi, looking for suggestions from anyone with experience of above for a Nov 12 w204, it's a saloon (AMG Sport) variant. I live in east Midlands area and would look for it to be fitted, now out of warranty.
Appreciate the bodykit makes slightly more difficult but presume with a detatchable swan-neck then minimal cut to bumper?
Thanks for info provided,
Tony

Hi Tony,

I currently have a 2010 C250CDI Estate (AMG Sport) with a detachable Westfalia Swan Neck (A40V) fitted - Only a small section needs to be cut out of the centre of the black bumper trim and the tow-bar fitment is pretty much invisible to those who don't know.

You can just about see this in the picture below:

Westfalia Swan Neck Video:
[YOUTUBE]ulh282wpqP0[/YOUTUBE]

HTH Mark :)

I personally would spend a little more and get quality parts. Westfalia as suggested by others are excellent quality, and the same as you'd get if you ordered a towbar from the parts counter at your local Mercedes dealer.

I would also recommend getting dedicated electrics, rather than a bypass kit. This makes sure your car knows that a trailer is attached, and adjust as appropriate. For convenience it does things like disable rear parking sensors, and for safety it will adapt your ESP system to improve stability whilst towing, disable the car's foglights to prevent glare, etc.

PS I've used ScenicGroup.co.uk online sales and full fitting service nationwide of Vehicle accessories. Parking sensors, Vehicle Tracking, Tow Bars, vehicle Security, Satelite Navigation, Radar detectors, multi-temperature heated seat kits and much more. - Scenic for mobile fitting, however most recently I had one fitted at Sturdy towing accessories by Towcraft Ltd in Blackheath who were excellent but don't offer a mobile service. There are others, like PF Jones who will probably have fitters in your area.

Phone around for prices. I found they can vary a lot. The most expensive being 50% more than the least expensive for the same towbar.

Hi all, thanks for the informative and helpful responses which I'm going to be looking into.

Deliberately wrote VFM rather than cheapest as I appreciate the quality difference.

Hi Mark, special thanks for specific info provided,My need is only to occasionally tow a trailer for DIY and tip purposes, previous company cars where hatchbacks so fulfilled that role!

Cheers,

Had useful dialogue with local fitters -Towbars uk (Hannington, Northants).
Detachable Westfalia towbar, with swivel plate for electrics.
Cost: With universal 7 pin - £350, with dedicated 7 pin- £460 with dedicated 13 pin - £490, all inc VAT.
No plans to acquire caravan (maybe motorhome!), minimal (local) trailer towing anticipated, no expectation of reselling car, so... logically v limited reason to future-proof my options, hence erring to lower cost option. Only current concerns are:
1- Any risk to M-B electrics (fitters think not and have fitted many)
2- Didn't ask but presume even universal option shuts of reversing sensors when hooked up?

Any experienced views/thoughts before I decide,
thanks, Tony

Personally I would go for dedicated electrics, as it will be plug and play, reversible if you need it to be, and the car will "know" it's towing. Most of all, I wouldn't fancy having cables spliced on a modern car.

I wouldn't be surprised if the reversing sensors don't automatically switch off with the universal electrics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom