best way to lift the whole of the front of a car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deian

Car
'01 W203 C200K Auto Estate
Hi all,

Whats the best way to lift the front of a car completely off the ground so one can work on both sides of the front without having to swap. Could be handy to steer the wheels in the middle of a job, or check joints without the weight of the car on it. Etc.

I think lifting one side, putting an axle stand, then lifting the other and putting in another axle stand is very dodgy indeed.

So I have a hydraulic jack and two axle stands and ramps, also have a secondary jack for the wheel changing.

What is the safest and most efficient way to do this with the above items?
Presumably the best jacking points aren't necessarily the ones used by the wheel changing jack?

And does anyone have any kind of WIS diagram on where all the strong points are for our mercs (specifically a w203) so one can know where to put an axle stands without fear of collapse of slippage.

Thanks in advance.

Look closely centrally under the engine. Poking through the undertray you should see a hard rubber block, precisely for this job.

ah ok, i'll hunt for it tomorrow, thanks

is it just at the front of the engine, a little rectangle with a circle hole I'm it, it seems separate to the guard cover? it seems more solid.

deian said:
is it just at the front of the engine, a little rectangle with a circle hole I'm it, it seems separate to the guard cover? it seems more solid.

Yes that's the one

cool, I was quite surprised how close it is to the front, makes access with a hydraulic jack quite easy.

Is it not at the back of the engine...between the gearbox and the engine?

maybe there's two, what is that thing I found then? one at the back or the engine would be very hard to get at with a hydraulic jack. so which one?

Take a photo or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom