Big Help Required :( 211 Airmatic Control arm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc85

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 500
Ok Peeps, Car is my 2002 w211 e55k

What i thought would be a 45min job has turned into abit of a nightmare.:doh:

The Upper ball joint on the front nearside of my e55k has completley worn out and its all apart of the arm not separate like the later ones.

I read up previously on the job but failed to think that having Airmatic things would be different.

Basically the 2 retaining bolts that hold the top Suspension arm are too long to pass by the back of the airmatic strut.

I've tried to slacken off the 3x 13mm topmount nuts and remove the lower strut bolt to wishbone, so i can have more movement in the strut to allow the bolts to pass but this is not enough.

So i have 2 options,

1st Try and get a small hack saw in the and cut the top retaining bolts off and pull them through the other way then replace with new.

Or release the Air strut completely (Just enough) so it drops through the tower allowing me to gets these bolts out being carefull not to damage the airline.

I haven't the software to depressurise the system so need to keep the strut connected (air wise). Can i disconnect the electrical plug on the strut or will this cause issues?

Any helps advise would be really appreciated, And its one of those "learn" by your mistakes type thing that i'm going to have to do. :(

Does anyone know what that correct procedure is if you disconnect a air strut then connect it back up?

Ive read somewhere you have support the vehicle above the ground before tyres just touching before starting the car?

There is an electric valve built into the strut.
This is what opens when Star tells it to release pressure and drains via the control valve behind the bumper.
If you just disconnect the electric connections and the air line then the strut will remain pressurised (unless the valve is leaking).
This will force the strut to extend to its full length which may impede its removal from the car but Star warns that releasing all the pressure WILL destroy the strut.

As you are removing the top arm anyway this will allow the lower arm to drop enough to remove the strut from the top housing, allowing removal of the bolts.
Just make sure that when you tighten the upper arm bolts, the arm is in the position that the car will be in at rest.

Fairly simple job made harder by the fact that the older arms are one piece.

Tony

You are a Star Tony thankyou :)

Need me to check anything on WIS for you Gav?

Ok, im half way through, having a break for tea lol, Strut is off, I took the Antiroll bar link off which gave me the extra clearance i needed to get the strut out. The Brass union is a 10mm spanner, I cracked this off and only lost what air was already in that line, NO AIR WAS LOST from the strut itself.

Will update in abit after tea. Thanks for all the helps and a massive thanks to Lyserman!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom