Bird poop stain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marty359

Car
BMW 330d with indicators and Jeep Renegade also with indicators
What can I use to sort this out :(

left the car under a tree for 5 mins yesterday and when I came back mr pigeon was sniggering at me from the tree. I wiped it off with a baby wipe when I got home and today cleaned the car but its left this stain(the one next to the fluorescent light reflection)

The previous owner must of treated the paintwork with something as water just runs straight off it like it's sealed. The mark the poop left can't be felt with a finger nail and it still seems super smooth to the touch.

Any ideas?

I find white vinegar and warm water works, soften it up then rinse immediately with luke warm water and detailing product like aquawax

I tried the vinegar.....looked the same

I tried super resin polish.....the same

I tried mer.....the same

I tried triplewax polish.....the same

I tried t cut.....looked better

I tried meguiars deep crystal.....mark gone :bannana:

Get some rubbing compound this will remove it then t-cut then wax it.

good job, desperate the things you got to do

The acid in the bird poop has eaten into your clearcoat marty 359.
In some cases you may compound it out by hand, by using a heavy cut polish, then medium, then fine, if you are lucky!

In all cases it will require machine polishing to give the best finish, if its bad it may require " wet sanding" with 2000 to 3000 grade emery paper, then machine polishing to bring the gloss back on the clearcoat.

Ask your local Merc dealer who they use for their " smart repairs", ie bumper scuffs etc. They should be able to remove this defect without trouble.

Note:Risk of burn through - the clearcoat on most cars is roughly 0.05mm thick max, the same thickness as a human hair, so you have to be VERY CAREFULL when wet sanding these acid burns caused by bird crap. A good tradesman will always take digital depth readings before polishing.

Can you live with it where it is?

Hi there,

Due to the ceramic mb lacquer I'm 99.9% sure you will need to hit that with 2-2500 then 3000 wet and dry. Then hit it with menz 400 and a wool pad on the rotary. Then follow up with some s17 on a orange LC pad��. If you attempt to wetsand your self make sure you go in both directions with each grade. As sanding groves are near to impossible to knock out of mb paint��.

Cheers
Mike

Bird etching are acidic, therefore are notorious for eating through clearcoat very quickly. Only 9h coatings will buy you a wider birth of time in these situation.

Cheers
Mike

I've got quite a lot of this on my bonnet, after leaving the car parked for two weeks a while back somewhere new! It actually looks like its crazing its that bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom