black death

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rigkraft

Car
mb cdi 220 coupe
I just bought my first Mercedes a 220 coupe and the cabin was fumy , I checked the search on here and found the issue " black death ! " anyway , I got the injector out and fitted a new washer tightened it up fired her up and she is still ever so slightly leaking , no fumes though , does anyone have the correct torque settings for the bolt that holds the injector down , and secondly do you think I should buy a new bolt and fit this before I go any further ?

Thanks guys

Shane

Did you re-cut the injector seat? f not then this might explain why it is leaking, cannot help re torque figure, a s for the bolt, it is good practice to use a new one.

No I didn't recut the seat , I guess this is something a diy er should attempt ,
Thanks DSM , I didn't even reconsider that .

shane

Shane

That might be why it is leaking, the good news is you have manged to remove it so if it does need to come out again it should do so easily :)

I know that kits are avaialble for DIY re-cutting of the seat but I think on something like this I would rather be typing my PIN number for a garage repair than doing it myself :)

Goodl uck.

You were lucky not to damage anything without the torque figure.

I've DIY'd two, one of which had re-failed after a main dealer had tried.

Process is:

• Clean up gunge.
  • Pull out injector (engine v hot if possible).
  • Clean and grease injector with special grease (A001 989 42 5110). Don't touch or grease the nozzle!
  • Re-cut, or at a minimum clean the seat. MB do a nice wire brush kit (611 589 00 68 00).
  • Very carefully clean out the bolt hole (lots of WD40!).
  • Use a new washer and bolt, some suggest new clamp too.
  • Ensure the bolt runs down the thread freely before assembly.
  • Re-assemble, ensuring the injector is fully seated before tightening. Not at all recommended, but I gave my injectors a few very gentle taps through a cloth-covered bit of wood to encourage them to settle first.
  • Torque for most CDI engines is 7Nm plus two lots of 90°. Doesn't sound like much, but that second 90° is nerve-wracking.
Alternative process:

• Get someone else to do it.

Yes I wont risk dropping swarf down the bore , I sprayed the whole area with road tar remover then ran the engine till it was hot with the bolt loosened , after about 2 minutes the engine sounded awful but was blowing smoke out of the injector , then it came out easy but I wont risk something as serious as cutting the injector seat .

Thanks again

Shane

I will send the car in troon, it all sounds to scary now .

Thanks Guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom