Bluetooth Confusion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smokebelch

Car
CLS 320cdi
Hi all,
New to MB ownership (bought a 06 CLS 320cdi yesterday!) and new to the forum, so please be gentle!!!.
Used search, but cant find anything with regards to what i'm experiencing.
Im trying to connect my phone (HTC M8) to the car. I have a puck already fitted in the armrest (slivery star trek looking thing)
I have my phones BT on and visible, long press the Merc button on the puck so the lights flash rapidly, all good up to now.
My phone lists UHI- SN 0668 (which I assume is the puck?) and MB telephone as being available devices.
I then go on serv on COMAND, then BT and it searches and finds my phone.
I then pair my phone to the puck (using 62872) then on my phone on COMAND i put in passcode 62872.
It then shows connected for approx 5 secs on COMAND, then flicks to not connected.
If I try and pair MB telephone, no code works (1234, 0000, 62872) all come back with "pairing rejected by MB Telephone"

What am I doing wrong??? :dk::wallbash:

ANy help will be very greatly received and will result in a slack handful of virtual beer tokens!!!!:thumb:

Not sure I can be of help as I don't have COMAND, but do have the phone option.

I presume by 'puck' you mean a Bluetooth Adapter in the armrest?

To pair mine all I have to do is press the button on the 'Bluetooth Adapter' so that the light flashes and then on my phone search for other Bluetooth signals. It finds MB Phone System (and I think UHI) select the MB Phone System option and then enter the 62872 code.

I don't have a way of entering a code into the adapter, but as I said, it may be different with COMAND.

One thing... did the 'puck'/'adapter' come with the car, or have you just bought it?
There are two systems for Mercedes cars, which changed about 2004 I think and the earlier Bluetooth Adapters won't work with the later system. Which adapter do you have MB or Viseeo? The more info you can give, the better the chance of someone helping.

yeah, sorry, puck= adapter in armrest
the adapter is one of these:

I may have not explained myself too well, but Im no trying to enter a code into the actual adapter (as that would be impossible) but out of the 2 bluetooth items my phone finds (The puck and MB telephone) the puck is the only one that accepts the 62872 code, but as I say it connects me for about 5 secs then displays "not connected" on COMAND

thanks for your reply though!:thumb:

Attachments

• 4abcf83b0f4c1_112873n.jpg
    4abcf83b0f4c1_112873n.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 8
You've got the wrong one I'm afraid, you want the all black plastic version or one of the viseos. You are also trying to pair with the COMAND bluetooth which although connectable doesn't work for phones, believe it was originally intended for BT headsets.

With the correct adaptor you pair to it and COMAND thinks there is a physical phone connected in the armrest.

Seems you are not pairing your phone with the BT adapter (puck) but your head unit.

If you have that BT adapter and if it is a Euro model, it must be a BT SAP profile adapter and it would not accept a fixed 5 digit pairing code (16 digits dynamic instead). In any case it seems like your phone is not supporting BT SAP?

right, been outside and had another little play about:
long press button on puck, lights flash quickly
go to serv on COMAND and press bt and it sets of searching.
COMAND lists my phone
highlight it and enter the 62872 code
my phone then pings up that it wants the code for the puck so i enter 62872 on my phone.
Shows up as connected for a few seconds on COMAND, then goes back to not connected. :wallbash:

Am i doing something REALLY stupid? :dk:
or do I need a different adapter as has been said?:doh:

@ Diesel Benz, my phone is less than a year old, and has had no problems connecting with all the newer cars (less than a year old) I've been driving lately. I know nothing of BT SAP does that indicate my phone supports it?:dk:

Many thanks for your replies up to now guys, sorry if im being a bit dumb, just very used to hopping into a car and being connected with 1-2 mins

New phones are often worse with BT SAP compared to old phones. As an example, pretty much all Nokia phones used to support BT SAP but since they started to us Windows for the operating system, none of their smart phones support BT SAP any more. You would have to have an old Nokia Series 40 phone or a Nokia Series 60 Symbian phone, some Blackberry phones support BT SAP and some Android phones.

Anyway, you have not paired your phone with the BT puck at all so far. The code 62872 is not for your BT SAP adapter. You can delete your current pairing and try any other code, it works equally well because it is the head unit you are pairing your phone with and in this case pairing is based on the same (user selectable) code being entered on both devices.

If your phone is BT SAP capable, you probably need to activate BT SAP mode over BT HF (some phones allow both modes being active at the same time, only one connection active though like usual). If your phone is BT SAP capable, you have to press the BT pairing button on the puck long enough to make the blue led blink fast. The phone would find "MB telephone" as you mentioned earlier. For the rest it is better to follow the manual, actually quite complicated to make the head unit show a 16 digit pairing code followed by the phone asking this code to be entered and you don't even have a lot of time to do that.

Perhaps you could tell which exact phone model you have, anyone familiar with that model could tell you how to activate BT SAP, if it does support BT SAP.

Do you actually have the manual for your BT adapter?

go to serv on COMAND and press bt and it sets of searching.
COMAND lists my phone
highlight it and enter the 62872 code

Am i doing something REALLY stupid? :dk:

Only in so much as ignoring advice :)

Only in so much as ignoring advice :)

not ignoring, taken onboard what you said, just want to try every way (rightly or wrongly) before I admit defeat and go with your original suggestion thats all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom