Bluetooth OBDII Scanner for iPhone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martyp87

Car
W166 GLE350d
Hello all,

I purchased a OBDII interface from eBay for a tenner but I can't get my iPhone to even find it under Bluetooth devices so I am assuming it is only compatible with Android phones.

For reference it is a KMoon OBDII mini interface. Tested it on my Smart ForTwo but stated it works on all cars and the lights do come on... :dk:

Just wondered if anyone can recommend one that is fully compatible with the iPhone and which software you use, I downloaded iOBD2.

Mainly just looking to keep an eye on IATs.

Thanks in advance.

Hello all,

I purchased a OBDII interface from eBay for a tenner but I can't get my iPhone to even find it under Bluetooth devices so I am assuming it is only compatible with Android phones.

For reference it is a KMoon OBDII mini interface. Tested it on my Smart ForTwo but stated it works on all cars and the lights do come on... :dk:

Just wondered if anyone can recommend one that is fully compatible with the iPhone and which software you use, I downloaded iOBD2.

Mainly just looking to keep an eye on IATs.

Thanks in advance.

I use Scangauge it's hard wired but a lot more accurate and the data is real time. Any Bluetooth module will have a delay.

I know Bluetooth ones did not work with iphones due to the way apple had them configured. The equivalent obd2 adapters for iphones were wifi based and if nothing has changed then that is what you will need

As stated Apple implements a different Bluetooth and basically proprietary Bluetooth protocol meaning that you need a "certified for iOS" one port dongle.

There is such a thing and I use it in my cars with a couple of apps, Dash Command and Harry's Laptimer. I've also used Torque which works well.

It's made by a company called GoPoint. I have the BT1A which is both iOS and Android compatible. Unfortunately due to the Apple certification it's much more expensive than the EBay specials at $130 (iOS only) or $150 (iOS and Android).

http://gopoint-technology.mybigcommerce.com

As mentioned above you can use the obd dongles which rely on wifi but I have found these both unreliable and not always compatible with apps.

I have a D900 handheld tool that picks up the generic DTCs. I've used it for my Porsche but not tried it on the C55 yet but it should work no problems. It's about 20 on ebay.

Hi Craig, I know the hardwired ones are the best as they provide real-time feedback but I don't want to mount anything on the dash etc.

Not surprised Apple has made it impossible for the standard BT ones to work!

rsk21, I will keep a link to that wi-fi adapter in my bookmarks.

i-conica, thanks for the link that looks perfect and just as cheap as my bluetooth one that doesn't work! I'll download dashcommand also.

I won't have it plugged in full time, only when at the track to keep an eye on IAT, anything else it provides would only be a bonus but probably never used.

Thanks again guys! :thumb:

Don't take this the wrong way but what is the point of monitoring IAT? There is not a lot you can do about it that's non-intrusive or parking up, especially when you are on track. More important to know what the coolant temp, oil temp/pressure is doing.

Marty, you can monitor all sorts with it / dashcommand.

I paid for the dashcommand full app, which was £35 at the time, it's now £7.99. :( (there's a free version, but snap up the full one at that price)

It reads, resets codes, plus live data for IAT, fuel/air ratio, cat temperature, LTFT, STFT, engine oil temp, coolant temp, etc.

Hey Marty

The one I posted about is Bluetooth - it's the only one out there which is fully compatible with Apple via Bluetooth.

The wifi ones are great when they work but I tried two with poor results before shelling out the GoPoint. Lag is imperceptible.

Don't take this the wrong way but what is the point of monitoring IAT? There is not a lot you can do about it that's non-intrusive or parking up, especially when you are on track. More important to know what the coolant temp, oil temp/pressure is doing.

Doing cooling mods also, have a custom IC coming and also CAI so want to see how much of a difference they make. When I say track I am only referring to a 1/4 mile anyway so its just WOT for seconds.

I've purchased the wi-fi version as its so cheap and will get the full version of dashcommand.

If the Wi-Fi version is too buggy or laggy I will step up to the BT iOS dongle. :thumb:

Try downloading an app called 'Torque Pro' this is what I use on my android phone along with an obdII Bluetooth device! The app is great and you can also download a track recorder that will record over the top of the shown dials and displays!

TorquePro isn't available on iOS only Android. Not to worry though as dash command looks excellent. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom